United States, Index to Indian Wars Pension Files (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
United States Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United States of America|
|Seal of the National Archives|
|Record Type||Index to Pension FIles|
|Record Group||RG 15: Records of the Veterans Administration|
|Microfilm Publication||T318. Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926. 12 rolls.|
|Arrangement||Arrange alphabetically by the name of the veteran.|
|National Archives Identifier||2588091|
|National Archives and Records Administration|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Related Books Family Search Library Catalog
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
The collection consists of a card index to pension files located at the National Archives for service in the Indian Wars between 1817 and 1898. The files are part of Record Group 15 Records of the Veterans Administration and is NARA microfilm publication T318. Pensions were first granted to veterans and widows with thirty days service between 1832 and 1842 in the Black, Hawk War, Cherokee Disturbances and Florida War. Later pension acts included additional conflicts.
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for United States, Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Information found in this collection may include:
- Name of soldier
- Name and class of dependent
- Rank and unit in which served
- Date enlisted and discharged
- Additional Services
- Application Number
- Certificate Number
- Filing date
- State in which filed
How Do I Search This Collection?
To search for your ancestors in the index you will need to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The date of enlistment
- The date of discharge or date of filing
- The approximate age and birth place of your ancestor
- The state and county where your ancestor lived
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Surname Range to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at United States Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- The application or certificate number will lead you to the full pension record
- The enlistment date and branch of service will lead you to the military service record
- The service information may lead to a death or cemetery record
- The bounty land information may lead you to a land grant record
- The name and class of dependents can help you compile a family record
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Look for variations in the spelling of the name. If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names. Remember that these indexes may contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor
Related Books Family Search Library Catalog
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"United States, Index to Indian Wars Pension Files, 1892-1926" Database and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 14 June 2016. Citing NARA microfilm publication T318. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.