Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire
Parish poor houses included
Ulverston Neville Hall 1753
Billincoat (Dalton parish) 1735
Coulton (pre 1777) for up to 18
Backbarrow opened 1823
The following parishes were included:
Aldingham, Lancashire, Lower Allithwaite and Upper Allithwaite see Cartmel, Lancashire, East Broughton , West Broughton Broughton in Furness, Lancashire, Blawith, Lancashire, Cartmel, Lancashire Cartmel Fell, Lancashire, Church Coniston, Lancashire, Claife see Hawkshead, Lancashire, Colton Colton, Lancashire, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire, Dendron, Lancashire, Dunnerdale-with-Seathwaite see Seathwaite, Lancashire, Egton-wth-Newland Egton cum Newland, Lancashire, Field Broughton St Peter, Lancashire Finsthwaite, Lancashire, Flookburgh, Lancashire, Hawkshead and Monk Coniston-with-Skelwithsee Hawkshead, Lancashire, Haverthwaite, Lancashire , Holme Island, Lancashire, Upper Holker and Lower Holker see Cartmel, Lancashire , Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire, Lindale, Lancashire, Lowick, Lancashire , Mansriggs see Ulverston, Lancashire, Osmotherly see Ulverston, Lancashire, Pennington, Lancashire, Rampside, Lancashire, Rusland, Lancashire , Satterthwaite, Lancashire , Seathwaite, Lancashire ,Subberthwaite see Blawith, Lancashire , Torver, Lancashire, Staveley, Lancashire, Ulverston St Mary, Lancashire, Ulverston Holy Trinity, Lancashire, Urswick, Lancashire, Walney, Lancashire, Woodland, Lancashire.
Later Additions: Angerton (from 1858), Barrow-in-Furness (from 1851), Coniston, Lancashire(from 1894) , Grange (from 1894), Haverthwaite, Lancashire(from 1927), Hawkshead (from 1894), Skelwith (from 1894).
- Cumbria Record Office and Local Studies Library, Barrow, 140 Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA14 1XW. Holdings include: Births register (1866-1948); Deaths register (1866-1916); Punishments register (1874-1923)
Blawith (Ulverston) Parish Records
Record contains churchwardens records, 1709-1732, 1766-1828, 1829-1840, Overseers of the poor accounts, 1726-1814, baptisms, 1728-1795, burials, 1746-1777, 1728-1743, poor money distributed, 1736-1806, account of constables, 1733-1804, marriages, 1763-1794, 1736-1763, memorandum, last wills and testaments of Mary Redhead and William Lancaster, baptisms, 1795-1812, confirmations, 1820-1838, burials, 1796-1812, marriages, 1797-1812, accounts 1820-1841, marriages, 1813-1902.
The chapelry of Blawith is in the parish of Ulverston.
Cumbria Record Office no.: BPR/I1/1/1-4
Parish registers FHL BRITISH Film 1471923 Items 7-10
- Walton, James E (1984) A History of Dalton-in-Furness (Phillimore)
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Ulverston/Ulverston.shtml