US Timelines - Creation and Use with Families
Introduction[edit | edit source]
A timeline is a chronological list of events for a person, family, or location. This is helpful for analyzing events in a family by showing gaps in knowledge about a family or events that probably did not or could not happen for this family. Matching a family timeline with a location timeline can help determine the likelihood of a family's involvement in the events of a locality, such as wars.
Before creating a timeline for a family[edit | edit source]
Gather family group records for the family in question. A family group record is a great source for the family events, even if the record is not complete. You can add additional information to the timeline as you find it, such as data from census records, land records, etc. Determining what was happening in the country or locality during an ancestors lifetime can also be helpful.
Internet Timelines[edit | edit source]
An Internet site that allows you to customize a timeline by entering data about an ancestor, then shows what was happening in the world is OurTimelines.com
Some other Internet sites with U.S. history timelines are:
- • American Educational History 
Tips[edit | edit source]
To analyze a family in depth, add all the events for a family, including census locations, military service, buying and selling land, etc. in addition to the births, deaths, marriages, and divorces
What to do next[edit | edit source]
- Once you have created the timeline, determine:
- • The parents' ages when they married
- • The mother's age when she had each child
- • The age of each child when he/she married
- • The age of each person when he/she died
- Notice anything unusual, such as:
- • The mother having a child at age 8 or marrying at age 10
- • The father being 10 years younger than the mother
- • 4 or more years between children
- • A child born after the mother or father was long dead
- Decide if the father or any of the sons were the right ages for military service. Click here for a list of American wars and the approximate birth years of those who fought in each war.
Estimating a Date[edit | edit source]
- Use the estimating a date Wiki article to help determine ages for individuals.