United States Military Awards and Decorations
(Redirected from US Military Awards and Decorations)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Awards and Decorations[edit | edit source]
- United States. Army. Adjutant General. American decorations : a list of awards of the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Distinguished-Service Cross and the Distinguished-Service Medal awarded under authority of the Congress of the United States, 1862-1926.Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1927. FamilySearch Digital Book
- Decorations United States Army, 1862-1926. Supplement II 1939
- Decorations United States Army, 1862-1926. Supplement III 1940
Information on the issuance or replacement of 20th Century military service medals, decorations and awards from the National Archives is available on their Military Awards and Decorations page.
Medal of Honor[edit | edit source]
- Sketches of soldiers who received the Medal of Honor are available in:
- The U.S. Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs Report "Medal of Honor recipients, 1863-1978 :In the name of the Congress of the United States" (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1979) (Worldcat) contains historical background about the Medal of Honor and descriptions of soldiers receiving the medal. Entries can include name, rank, organization data and place, date entered service, birth date, date of issue, and citation.
- Virgil D. White. Index to Medal of Honor Recipients, 1863-1978. Waynesboro, Tennessee: National HIstorical Pub. Co., 1999. FHL 973 M22wih
- https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/2338496 United States. Public Information Bureau. The Medal of Honor of the United States Army. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1948. FamilySearch Digital Book
- United States. Bureau of Naval Personnel. Medal of Honor 1861-1949. The Navy. Washington, D.C.: s.n. 1950 FamilySearch Digital Book ]
- Frank N. Schubert. Black Valor: Buffalo Soldiers and the Medal of Honor 1870-1898. Wilmington, Delaware: Scholarly Resources, 1997. FHL 973 M2sf
- Walter F. Beyer and Oscar F. Keydel, comps. Deeds of valor : how America's heroes won the Medal of Honor : personal reminiscences and records of officers and enlisted men who were awarded the Congressional medal of honor for most conspicous acts of bravery in battle combined with an abridged history of our country's war.Detroit, Michigan: Perrien-Keydel, Co., 1901-1902. FamilySearch Digital Book volume 1
- The U.S. Army Center of Military History lists Medal of Honor Recipients from the above publication online. The site also lists Medal of Honor recipients from 1979-2008.
Purple Heart[edit | edit source]
- Fred L. Borch.A Heart of Purple. The Story of America's Oldest Military Decoration and Some of Its Recipients. Prologue (Winter 2012)
- Jon E. Binnion, ed. The Legacy of the Purple Heart. Paduach, Kentucky: Turner Pub. Co., 1996. FHL 973 M2bLp
Societies[edit | edit source]
Awards and Decorations by Conflict[edit | edit source]
- Colonial Wars, 1607 to 1763
- Revolutionary War, 1775 to 1783
- War of 1812, 1812 to 1815
- Mexican War, 1846 to 1848
- Civil War, 1861 to 1865
- Frederick H. Stafford. comp. Medals of honor awarded for distinguished service during the war of the rebellion. Washington, 1886 FamilySearch Digital Book]
- Theophilus F. Rodenbough, ed. Uncle Sam's Medal of Honor : some of the noble deeds for which the medal has been awarded, described by those who have won it, 1861-1866.New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1886 FAmilySearch Digital Book
- Gregg S. Clemmer. Valor in Gray: the recipients of the Confederate Medal of Honor. Staunton,Virginia: Hearthside Publishing, 1996. FHL 973 M2cv
- Indian Wars, 1780's-1890's
- Spanish-American War, 1898
- Philippine Insurrection, 1899 to 1902
- World War I, 1917 to 1918
- Congressional Medal of honor, The Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal. Issued by the War Department Since April 6, 1917 ... November 11, 1919. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1920.
- War Department. Awards of Medal of Honor. General Order No. 59, May 3, 1919.
- George B. Clark. Decorated Marines of the Fourth Brigade in World War I. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland and Company,2007.
- World War II, 1941 to 1945
- Korean War, 1950 to 1953
- Vietnam War, 1964 to 1972
- United States. Congress. Senate. Committee of Veteran Affairs. Vietnam era Medal of Honor recipients 1964-1972 : "In the name of the congress of the United States." Prepared for the Committee on Veterans' Affairs, United States Senate, Vance Hartke, Chairman. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1973 FamilySearch Digital Book
Awards by Service Branch[edit | edit source]
- Air Force Award Cards, medals, badges, decorations: Aldea, Robert - Zimmerman, Carroll. NAID 148248067
- Air Force Awards Cards, 1942-1963 - Distinguished Flying Cross - National Archives Catalog
- Air Force Award Cards, 1942-1963 - National Archives Catalog
- Air Force Award Cards, 1942-1963 - Commendation Medal - National Archives Catalog