US Immigration Other Published Sources
There are published transcripts and indexes for some ports and dozens of ethnic groups. For example, the Family History Library has lists of:
- Baltimore arrivals from 1820 to 1834
- Philadelphia arrivals from 1800 to 1819
- Irish arrivals at New York from 1846 to 1852
- Dutch arrivals from 1820 to 1880
- German arrivals from 1850 to 1897 (ongoing series)
- Morton Allan directory of European passenger steamship arrivals from 1890 to 1930
These sources are generally found in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under one of the following:
- [STATE], [COUNTY], [TOWN] - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION
- UNITED STATES - EMIGRATION AND IMMIGRATION
Over 2,500 other published sources are listed in:
- Filby, P. William. Passenger and Immigration Lists Bibliography, 1538-1900, 2d ed. Detroit, Michigan: Gale Research, 1988. (FHL book 973 W33p 1988.) Arranged by author and title. Includes index by place-names, nationalities, naturalizations, occupations, religious groups, military units, ship's name, prisoners, or indentured servants.
Fothergill wrote a guide for Americans who wish to trace their English origins:
- Fothergill, Gerald. "American Emigrants. How To Trace Their English Ancestry," in Some Special Studies in Genealogy. 1908. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.