Twin Falls Idaho Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Twin Falls Family History Center
- 2 Center Contacts and Hours
- 3 Events Calendar and Announcements
- 4 Consultant Training and Roundtable
- 5 Center Services
Twin Falls Family History Center
The Twin Falls Family History Center covers the Twin Falls and the western Magic Valley. Visitors Welcome.
- We have Spanish-speaking consultants on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, from 9:00 to 1:00. Tenemos consultores de habla española el martes, miércoles, sábado, 9:00-1:00.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 399 Maurice Street North Twin Falls Idaho 83301 United States
- One block south of the Twin Falls High School.
- Handicapped parking and access.
|Tuesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|thusday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am||3:00 pm|
Closed all major holidays
Events Calendar and Announcements
November 2017 Classes
Tues. Nov. 28 10:00 am Creative Approaches to Solving Research Problems Mary Edgar
Tues. Nov. 28 6:00 pm Questions and Answers on Family Tree and Otherwise Carl Edgar
Tues, Nov. 28 7:00 pm Consultants' Roundtable – Christmas Gifts You can Make staff
Wed. Nov. 29 11:00 am Merging Records in familysearch.org staff
Thur Nov. 30 7:00 pm Workshop - Putting Audio Items on familysearch.org. Carl Edgar
December 2017 Classes
Tues. Dec. 5 9:30 am Making Sure it is Your Family on familysearch.org. Mary Edgar
Wed. Dec. 6 11:00 am Great Treasures to be Found in U.S. Census Records staff
Thur. Dec. 7 7:00 pm Cemetery Records are Abundant – How to find them easily Carl Edgar
Sat. Dec. 9 12:00 noon How to Start a Family Search Tree Tree with ancestry.com Carl Edgar
Sat. Dec. 9 1:00 pm How to Start a Free Family Tree with familysearch.org Carl Edgar
Tues. Dec. 12 10:00 am How to get help as you do your Family History Work Mary Edgar
Accessing Guides along the Way
Tues. Dec. 12 2:00 pm Rekindle Your Indexing Skills for the New Year J. Merkley
Thur. Dec. 14 7:00 pm Sources Available for Do-it-yourself Learning Carl Edgar
The Family History Center will be open Dec. 19, 20, and 21, and will be closed Sat. Dec. 23, and Dec. 26-30, re-opening on Jan. 2, 2018.
SLC FHL – always updates to current month:
(printable .PDF)  (This link is not currently working. See the Family History Library's link on the internet.)
BYU FHL Webinars - See Wiki page for the BYU Provo family history center
(printable .PDF)  (This link is not currently working. See the BYU Family History Center link on the internet.)
Consultant Training Schedule
Consultant Training and Roundtable
Consultant training and Roundtable are for all Family History Consultants, as well as those who work at the Family History Center.
Center Resource Collections
- FamilySearch Catalog:
- The Twin Falls Family History Center has a book collection of over 2,000 books. The center also has a collection of about 1,000 microfilms on indefinite loan, and have notebooks with listings of them. They also have a large microfiche collection.
- The center has cemetery and many obituary records for Twin Falls and some surrounding communities. Volunteers can do obituary look-ups.
- The center had a large number of city directories and phone books for Twin Falls and other regional towns. These were digitized in 2014 and can now be viewed at familysearch.org. See the Family History Library Catalog and look under the city or town - Directories. The center no longer has the actual city directory books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- A number of the most popular personal pedigree programs have been installed on our computers.
- The complete Pedigree Resource File is available in FamilySearch.org, under the Search tab, then Genealogies. This includes the notes.
Hardware and Equipment
- 20+ computer stations.
- Digital microfilm/fiche reader, plus conventional readers.
- Separate classroom/training and research areas.
- Completely handicapped accessible.
Staff Research Specialties
- BSA - Genealogy merit badge - There is a class offered as part of the annual Discovery Day at the family history center.
- English (England) Research Specialist - Jeanette Gailey - Wednesdays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- New England - David Putnam Jr. - Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Scandinavian Research Specialist - Brian Halling- thusday evenings
- Scandinavian Research Specialist - Ross Gedeborg - contact him at home 208-969-0034 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources in the Local Area
201 4th Ave. East
Twin Falls, ID 83301
They have the ancestry.com library program, it's free to use at the library.
They have a local history room on the main floor, with a good collection of books relating to the Twin Falls area.
The Twin Falls newspaper, now called the Times News, has good search features. The Twin Falls newspapers have all been digitized from the beginning.
Volunteer at the Center
There are many opportunities to serve at the Twin Falls Family History Center. The only requirement is a desire to serve, no experience with family history is necessary. Volunteering is a great way to learn. If you are interested in helping out please contact the Twin Falls Family History Center, at 208.733.8073. We look forward to serving with you.