Twin Falls Idaho Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Twin Falls Family History Center
- 2 Center Contacts and Hours
- 3 Events Calendar and Announcements
- 4 Consultant Training and Round table
- 5 Center Services
Twin Falls Family History Center
The Twin Falls Family History Center covers the Twin Falls and the western Magic Valley. Visitors are always welcome.
- We have Spanish-speaking consultants on Tuesday and Wednesday, from 9:00 to 1:00, and Saturday 10:00 to 3:00. Tenemos consultores de habla española el martes, miércoles, sábado, 9:00-1:00.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 399 Maurice Street North, Twin Falls, Idaho 83301 United States
- One block south of the Twin Falls High School.
- Handicapped parking and access.
- Tuesday: 9:00 am-9:00 pm
- Wednesday: 9:00 am-9:00 pm
- Thursday: 9:00 am-9:00 pm
- Saturday:10:00 am-3:00 pm
|Tuesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Thursday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am||3:00 pm|
Closed all major holidays
The center will be closed Saturday, May 26, 2018 for Memorial Day weekend.
Events Calendar and Announcements
Family History Center Class Schedule for July 2018
Thur. July 5, 7:00 pm -- How to Navigate in FamilySearch -- John Cox
Tues. July 10, 10:00 am -- Find Your Ancestors in Censuses -- Carl Edgar
Tues. July 10, 11:00 am -- Help with Your English Research -- Mary. Edgar
Wed. July 11, 10:00 am -- Maps for USA Census Boundaries 1790-1920 -- David Putnam
Wed. July 11, 6:00 pm -- Relativefinder.org, A Way to Find Some Remarkable Cousins -- Gary and Ardith Walker
Thur. July 12, 7:00 pm -- How to Add Sources to FamilySearch -- staff
Sat. July 14, 1:00 pm -- How to Organize Your Documents Using a Research Log -- David Putnam
Tues. July 17, 10:00 am -- Using FamilySearch to build Your Tree -- Carl Edgar
Tues. July 17, 7:00 pm -- How to Merge Duplicate Records -- Dennis Crawford
Wed. July 18, 6:00 pm -- Let us Help You Learn to do Indexing, Part 1 -- Vic Smith
Thur. July 19, 3:00 pm -- How to Write “Spotlights” about Family Relatives -- Miriam Austin
Thur. July 19, 7:00 pm -- How to Move Names from FamilySearch into ancestry.com -- John Cox
Tues. July 31, 10:00 am -- What do you want to know about your Family History? -- Mary Edgar
July 18, 7:00 - 9:00 p. m. - Twin Falls 1st ward, Twin Falls Stake
Consultant Training and Round table
Consultant training and Round table meetings are for all Temple and Family History Consultants, those working in the wards and those working at the Family History Center. The next meeting will be in August, 2018.. Usually it is on the fourth Tuesday of each month.
Center Resource Collections
- FamilySearch Catalog:
- The Twin Falls Family History Center has a book collection of over 2,000 books. The center also has a collection of about 1,000 microfilms on indefinite loan, and have notebooks with listings of the films and fiche. They also have a large microfiche collection.
- The center has cemetery and many obituary records for Twin Falls and some surrounding communities. Volunteers can do obituary look-ups.
- The center had a large number of city directories and phone books for Twin Falls and other regional towns. These were digitized in 2014 and can now be viewed at familysearch.org. See the Family History Library Catalog and look under the city or town - Directories. The center no longer has the actual city directory books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- A number of the most popular personal pedigree programs have been installed on our computers.
- The complete Pedigree Resource File is available in FamilySearch.org, under the Search tab, then Genealogies. This includes the notes.
Hardware and Equipment
- 20+ computer stations.
- Digital microfilm/fiche reader, plus conventional readers.
- There is one large computer classroom with eighteen computers. There is a separate classroom/training room with four computer terminals and desks where you can plug in laptops, tablets, etc.
- Completely handicapped accessible.
Staff Research Specialties
- BSA - Genealogy merit badge - There is a class offered as part of the Discovery Day whenever it is scheduled at the family history center.
- English (England) Research Specialist - Mary Edgar - Tuesdays, 9 a. m. - 1:00 p. m.
- German - Larry Kohntopp - Tuesdays 1:00 - 5:00 p. m.
- New England - David Putnam Jr. - Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., also Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Scandinavian - Brian Halling - On some Thursday evenings. Please call the center to see if he will be available.
- Scandinavian - Ross Gedeborg - contact him at home 208-969-0034 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish - David Putnam Jr. - Saturdays 10 a. m. - 3:00 p. m.
Resources in the Local Area
201 4th Ave. East
Twin Falls, ID 83301
They have the ancestry.com library program, it's free to use at the library.
They have a local history room on the main floor, with a good collection of books relating to the Twin Falls area.
The Twin Falls newspaper, now called the Times News, has good search features. The Twin Falls newspapers have all been digitized from the beginning.
Volunteer at the Center
There are many opportunities to serve at the Twin Falls Family History Center. The only requirement is a desire to serve, no experience with family history is necessary. Volunteering is a great way to learn. If you are interested in helping out please contact the Twin Falls Family History Center, at 208.733.8073. We look forward to serving with you.