Twin Falls Idaho Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Twin Falls Family History Center
- 2 Center Contacts and Hours
- 3 Events Calendar and Announcements
- 4 Consultant Training and Round table
- 5 Center Services
Twin Falls Family History Center
The Twin Falls Family History Center covers the Twin Falls and the western Magic Valley. Visitors Welcome.
- We have Spanish-speaking consultants on Tuesday and Wednesday, from 9:00 to 1:00, and Saturday 10:00 to 3:00. Tenemos consultores de habla española el martes, miércoles, sábado, 9:00-1:00.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 399 Maurice Street North, Twin Falls, Idaho 83301 United States
- One block south of the Twin Falls High School.
- Handicapped parking and access.
- Tuesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am-9:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am-9:00pm
|Tuesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Thursday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am||3:00 pm|
Closed all major holidays
Events Calendar and Announcements
|Family History Center Class Schedule - April 2018|
|Tues. May 1, 2 PM:||Getting Started on Your Family Tree||Beginner||The Edgars|
|Thu. May 3, 7 PM:||The Wiki: A Very Useful Tool to Help You||Intermediate||John Cox|
|Sat. May 5, 1 PM:||Ways to Organize Your Family Photos||Intermediate||Elder Mecham|
|Tues. May 8, 10 AM||How to Write the Story of an Ancestor||Intermediate||Kohntopps|
|Wed. May 9, 10 AM||LDS Ward Records : Finding & Searching||Intermediate||D. Putnam|
|Thu. May 10, 7 PM:||Finding and Using Newspapers||Intermediate||John Cox|
|Sat. May 11, 1 PM:||Getting Started at Indexing||Beginner||Elder Mecham|
|Tues. May 15, 10 AM:||Discover, Gather, Connect: A New Look at Organizing Your Family History||Beginner||Mary Edgar|
|Tues. May 15, 7 PM:||Learn how to use americanancestors.com||Beginner||The Crawfords|
|Wed. May 16, 10 AM:||United States Probate Records||Intermediate||FHL webinar|
|Thu. May 17, 7 PM:||How to Find Ancestors in U.S.Censuses||Beginner||Carl Edgar|
|Sat. May 19, 1 PM:||Help with Searching Records of Latin America||Beginner||D. Putnam|
|Tues. May 22, 10 AM:||Workshop: Work on Writing Your History||Beginner||staff|
|Tues. May 29, 6 PM:||Bring Your Questions||Beginner||Carl Edgar|
|Tues. May 29, 7 PM:||Consultants' Round Table – Family Items: Games, Facebook, and Other Activities||Consultants||staff|
|Wed. May 30, 5:30 PM:||The Blessings you can receive from doing Family History Work -Bring Your Thoughts||Beginner||staff|
Wed., May 9, 7-8:30 p. m. Thirteenth Ward, Twin Falls Stake - four visitors and two leaders. Also Eleventh Ward, twenty visitors and four leaders.
Wed., May 16, 7-8:30 p. m. Twelfth ward, Twin Falls West Stake - sixteen visitors and four leaders.
Consultant Training and Round table
Consultant training and Round table meetings are for all Temple and Family History Consultants, those working in the wards and those working at the Family History Center. Please join us on the fourth Tuesday of each month,
Center Resource Collections
- FamilySearch Catalog:
- The Twin Falls Family History Center has a book collection of over 2,000 books. The center also has a collection of about 1,000 microfilms on indefinite loan, and have notebooks with listings of the films and fiche. They also have a large microfiche collection.
- The center has cemetery and many obituary records for Twin Falls and some surrounding communities. Volunteers can do obituary look-ups.
- The center had a large number of city directories and phone books for Twin Falls and other regional towns. These were digitized in 2014 and can now be viewed at familysearch.org. See the Family History Library Catalog and look under the city or town - Directories. The center no longer has the actual city directory books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- A number of the most popular personal pedigree programs have been installed on our computers.
- The complete Pedigree Resource File is available in FamilySearch.org, under the Search tab, then Genealogies. This includes the notes.
Hardware and Equipment
- 20+ computer stations.
- Digital microfilm/fiche reader, plus conventional readers.
- There is one large computer classroom with eighteen computers. There is a separate classroom/training room with four computer terminals and desks where you can plug in laptops, tablets, etc.
- Completely handicapped accessible.
Staff Research Specialties
- BSA - Genealogy merit badge - There is a class offered as part of the Discovery Day whenever it is scheduled at the family history center.
- English (England) Research Specialist - Jeanette Gailey - Wednesdays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- New England - David Putnam Jr. - Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., also Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Scandinavian Research Specialist - Brian Halling - On some Thursday evenings. Please call the center to see if he will be available.
- Scandinavian Research Specialist - Ross Gedeborg - contact him at home 208-969-0034 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources in the Local Area
201 4th Ave. East
Twin Falls, ID 83301
They have the ancestry.com library program, it's free to use at the library.
They have a local history room on the main floor, with a good collection of books relating to the Twin Falls area.
The Twin Falls newspaper, now called the Times News, has good search features. The Twin Falls newspapers have all been digitized from the beginning.
Volunteer at the Center
There are many opportunities to serve at the Twin Falls Family History Center. The only requirement is a desire to serve, no experience with family history is necessary. Volunteering is a great way to learn. If you are interested in helping out please contact the Twin Falls Family History Center, at 208.733.8073. We look forward to serving with you.