Twin Falls Idaho Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
- 1 Twin Falls Family History Center
- 2 Center Contacts and Hours
- 3 Events Calendar and Announcements
- 4 Consultant Training and Round table
- 5 Center Services
Twin Falls Family History Center
The Twin Falls Family History Center covers the Twin Falls and the western Magic Valley. Visitors are always welcome.
- We have Spanish-speaking consultants on Tuesday and Wednesday, from 9:00 to 1:00, and Saturday 10:00 to 3:00. Tenemos consultores de habla española el martes, miércoles, sábado, 9:00-1:00.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 399 Maurice Street North, Twin Falls, Idaho 83301 United States
- One block south of the Twin Falls High School.
- Handicapped parking and access.
- Tuesday: 9:00 am-9:00 pm - beginning on October 16, 10:00 a. m.- 8:00 p.m. - groups with reservations may stay until 9:00 p. m.
- Wednesday: 9:00 am-9:00 pm - beginning on October 16, 10:00 a. m.- 8:00 p.m. - groups with reservations may stay until 9:00 p. m.
- Thursday: 9:00 am-9:00 pm - beginning on October 16, 10:00 a. m.- 8:00 p.m. - groups with reservations may stay until 9:00 p. m.
- Saturday:10:00 am-3:00 pm
|Tuesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Thursday||9:00 am||9:00 pm|
|Saturday||10:00 am||3:00 pm|
Closed all major holidays
Events Calendar and Announcements
Family History Center Class Schedule for October 2018
The center will be closed on Saturday October 6. 2018.
|Tue. Oct. 2||10: 00 a. m. - What's New at FamilySearch||beginner||FH Library webinar|
|Wed. Oct. 3||10:00 a. m. - Finding the Females in Your Family Tree||Amy Crow||ancestry.com webinar|
|Thur. Oct. 4||6:00 p. m. - Danish Census Research Part 1 – The Danish Demographic Database||beginner||FH Library webinar|
|Tue. Oct. 9||7:00 p. m. Basics of Using Joyflips to Preserve and Share Your Memories *bring your Android phone/tablet or iphone/iPad and a few photos||beginner||Jennie Merkley|
|Wed. Oct. 10||10:00 a. m. - Ireland Censuses & Census Substitutes||beginner||FH Library webinar|
|Wed. Oct. 10||7:00 p. m. - Introduction to Indexing||Beginner||Vic Smith|
|Thur. Oct. 18||6:00 p. m. - Church of England Church Records||beginner||FH Library webinar|
|Sat. Oct. 20||2:00 p. m. - DNA Testing, How it can Help You||beginner||Frank Durham|
|Tue. Oct. 23||6:00 p. m. - Consultants – Please bring Questions and they will be answered||beginner||Carl Edgar|
|Tues. Oct. 23||7:00 p. m. - Consultants' Round Table – Let's look at the Family History Guide||beginner||Carl and Mary Edgar|
|Thur. Oct. 25||6:00 p. m. - Basic Computer Skills||beginner||Kyle Parish|
|Sat. Oct. 27||2:00 p. m. - I Found My Abuela in Mexico, Now What?||beginner||FH Library webinar|
|Tue. Oct. 30||10:00 a. m. - How to Add Sources you find to familysearch.org.||beginner||Janet Branfold|
Oct. 9 from 7- 9 p. m.
Oct. 10 from 7- 8:30 p. m.
Oct. 17 from 7- 8:3- p. m.
Oct. 18 from 7- 9 p.m.
Consultant Training and Round table
Consultant training and Round table meetings are for all Temple and Family History Consultants, those working in the wards and those working at the Family History Center. The next meeting will be on Sept. 25. Usually it is on the fourth Tuesday of each month.
Center Resource Collections
- FamilySearch Catalog:
- The Twin Falls Family History Center has a book collection of over 2,000 books. The center also has a collection of about 1,000 microfilms on indefinite loan, and have notebooks with listings of the films and fiche. They also have a large microfiche collection.
- The center has cemetery and many obituary records for Twin Falls and some surrounding communities. Volunteers can do obituary look-ups.
- The center had a large number of city directories and phone books for Twin Falls and other regional towns. These were digitized in 2014 and can now be viewed at familysearch.org. See the Family History Library Catalog and look under the city or town - Directories. The center no longer has the actual city directory books.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- A number of the most popular personal pedigree programs have been installed on our computers.
- The complete Pedigree Resource File is available in FamilySearch.org, under the Search tab, then Genealogies. This includes the notes.
Hardware and Equipment
- 20+ computer stations.
- Digital microfilm/fiche reader, plus conventional readers.
- There is one large computer classroom with eighteen computers. There is a separate classroom/training room with four computer terminals and desks where you can plug in laptops, tablets, etc.
- Completely handicapped accessible.
Staff Research Specialties
- BSA - Genealogy merit badge - There is a class offered as part of the Discovery Day whenever it is scheduled at the family history center.
- English (England) Research Specialist - Mary Edgar - Tuesdays, 9 a. m. - 1:00 p. m.
- German - Larry Kohntopp - Tuesdays 1:00 - 5:00 p. m.
- New England - David Putnam Jr. - Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., also Saturdays 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Scandinavian - Brian Halling - On some Thursday evenings. Please call the center to see if he will be available.
- Scandinavian - Ross Gedeborg - contact him at home 208-969-0034 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spanish - David Putnam Jr. - Saturdays 10 a. m. - 3:00 p. m.
Resources in the Local Area
201 4th Ave. East
Twin Falls, ID 83301
They have the ancestry.com library program, it's free to use at the library.
They have a local history room on the main floor, with a good collection of books relating to the Twin Falls area.
The Twin Falls newspaper, now called the Times News, has good search features. The Twin Falls newspapers have all been digitized from the beginning.
Volunteer at the Center
There are many opportunities to serve at the Twin Falls Family History Center. The only requirement is a desire to serve, no experience with family history is necessary. Volunteering is a great way to learn. If you are interested in helping out please contact the Twin Falls Family History Center, at 208.733.8073. We look forward to serving with you.