Trinity County, California Genealogy
|Trinity County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|Address|| Trinity County Courthouse|
101 Court St
Weaverville, CA 96093
Trinity County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Trinity County, California Record Dates
County Recorder has birth and death records indexes1873-1905
birth and death records from 1905 marriage record rec indexes 1857-1905
marriage records from 1905 and naturalization 1850-1940
Court Services has divorce and court from 1881
probate records from 1887 and land records
18 February 1850: Trinity County was created as an original county. County seat: Weaverville 
The county was named from the Trinity River. The county seat Weaverville and the county was created February 18, 1850. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Index to Trinity County Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Trinity County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on Trinity County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Trinity County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Trinity County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
- 1891 - Trinity County, 1891, in Memorial And Biographical History Of Northern California (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Index to Federal Land Records, Trinity County, California (USGenWeb Archives)
Military History and Records
Regiments. Service men in Trinity County, California Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Trinity County, California Genealogy:
- 1883 - Trinity County – List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
World War I
- World War I Draft Registration, Trinity County, California (USGenWeb Archive
World War II
- World War II Army Enlistees, Trinity County (Genealogy Trails)
- Trinity County Army Enlistees, World War II (USGenWeb Archives)
- Trinity County Honor List of World War II Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Trinity County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Trinity County Death Notices (CAGenWeb Project)
- Index to Trinity County Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Trinity - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- Early Trinity County Vital Records (Births and Deaths) (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- Early Birth Notices by year (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index
- 1857 - 1860 - Trinity County Marriage Index (Genealogy Trails)
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Index to Trinity County Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
California county clerks were to keep voting registers every other year from 1866 and well into the 20th century. These large books, called Great Registers, listed the men who registered to vote in that county. Besides name and age, the record may show place of birth, address, occupation, naturalization date and sometimes even a physical description.
These records are at the California State Library (1866-1944), and microfilmed copies are available through Family History Centers (1866-1910). Ancestry ($) has a searchable database of Trinity Great Registers from 1867-1896.
- 1872 - The Trinity records for 1872 are available on the RootsWeb site, by clicking here.
- 1887 - Index to the Trinity County Great Register, 1887 (USGenWeb Archives)
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Trinity County Historical Society
PO Box 333
Weaverville, CA 96093
- Trinity County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Trinity County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Trinity County, California Genealogy Trails
- Trinity County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 88. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Trinity County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_County,_California 05/09/2017.