Torres-Martinez Indian Subagency (California)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Subagency
The Torres-Martinez Subagency operated under the Mission Agency from at least 1920 to 1946.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Some records of the Torres-Martinez Subagency, 1920-1946, are in the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Laguna Niguel, California. They are included in the records of the Mission Agency.
- Guide to Archival Holdings, Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Laguna Niguel, California, Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online