Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Thomas County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Thomas County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 23, 1825|
|Address|| Thomas County Courthouse|
225 N Broad Street
Thomasville, GA 31792
Thomas County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Voter Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Thomas County, Georgia Record Dates
County CourthouseThomas County Courthouse
225 N Broad Street
Thomasville, GA 31792
County Health Department has birth and death records; Probate Court has marriage and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court records from 1919 and land records from 1826.
Clerk of Superior Court
325 N. Madison Street
P.O. Box 1995 (31799)
Thomasville, GA 31792
Telephone: (229) 225-4108
Fax: (229) 225-4110
Probate Court of Thomas County
P.O. Box 1582
Thomasville, GA 31799
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1849 The courthouse was damaged by a storm. No records were reported lost.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Thomas County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
First Presbyterian Church, Thomasville *1854-1917 - First Presbyterian Church, Thomasville, Baptism Index 1854-1917. Batch C713831 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- MacIntyre, W. Irwin. History of Thomas County, Georgia: From the Time of DeSoto to the Civil War. Thomasville, Ga.: 1923. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 29th Battalion, Georgia Cavalry (Confederate), Company A
- - 29th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies A, B, H and K
- - 50th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 57th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company A
- - 61st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 62nd Regiment, Georgia Cavalry (Confederate) , Company I
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- Rogers, William Warren. 1964. Thomas County during the Civil War. Tallahassee: Florida State University. 975.8984 M2 digital version
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 - Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 - Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1826-1836 - Wills, Book A, 1826-1836 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1837-1845 - Wills, Book B, 1837-1845 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1826-1836 - Index to Wills, Annual Returns, Inventories, Book A, 1826-1836 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1837-1845 - Index to Wills, Annual Returns, Inventories, Book B, 1837-1845 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1855-1862 - Index to Final Settlements, Book A, 1855-1862 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1863-1875 - Index to Final Settlements, Book B, 1863-1875 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1826-1860 - Record of Wills Filed Between 1826 and 1860 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
Thomas County Health Department, Vital Records, P.O. Box 148, Thomasville, GA 31799-0148, Phone: (229) 226-4241
- 1699 - 1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1754 - 1960 - Georgia Church Marriages, 1754-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1785 - 1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1787 - 1962 - Georgia, Church Marriages, 1787-1962 at FamilySearch — index
- 1808 - 1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828 - 1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1885 - 1886 - Marriages (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1826 - 1865 - Thomas County Marriage Index 1826-1865. Batch M713821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849 - 1880 - Thomas County Marriage Books E, H, and I Index 1849-1880. Batch M713822 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1868 - 1874 - Thomas County Marriage Index 1868-1874. Batch M713827 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1879 - 1885 - Thomas County Marriage Book J Index 1879-1885. Batch M713823 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1885 - 1889 - Thomas County Marriage Book K Index 1885-1889. Batch M713824 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1889 - 1895 - Thomas County Marriage Book L Index 1889-1895. Batch M713825 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1895 - Thomas County Marriage Index 1895. Batch M713826 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Thomas County Historical Society
725 N Dawson St
Thomasville, GA 31792-4452
Telephone Number: 912-26-7764
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Thomas County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Thomas County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Thomas County, Georgia. Page 160 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.