Thirkleby, Yorkshire Genealogy
Guide to Thirkleby, Yorkshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Thirsk|
|Parish registers: 1611|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York|
|Location of Archive|
|Yorkshire Record Office|
Thirkleby All Saints is an replacement church within an Ancient Parish which includes Great and Little Thirkleby and Osgoodby or Osgody within its boundary. The church of ALL SAINTS consists of a chancel, south chapel, north vestry, nave with narrow aisles, a porch at the west end of the north aisle and a north-west tower with an octagonal stone spire. The present building, which is of limestone and in the style of the 14th century, was erected in 1851, at the cost of the widow of Sir Robert Frankland-Russell, as a tribute to his memory. The building which it replaces was built in 1722 by Sir Thomas, the third baronet.
On the floor at the west end of the nave are three slabs. One is to Judith daughter of John Burgoyne of Sutton, Bedfordshire, and wife of William Ayscough of Osgodby in this parish, who died in 1688. Over it is a shield of Ayscough impaling Burgoyne. The second has a shield with Ayscough impaling Thornton and an inscription to William Ayscough, who died in 1676. The third has lost its brass inscription. On the south wall of the nave are two large marble tablets to Sir William Frankland, who died in 1697, and Arabella his wife, daughter of the Hon. Henry Bellasis, who died in 1687. She was sister to the first Earl Fauconberg, son-in-law of Oliver Cromwell It is to be noted that Sir William was nephew of Earl Fauconberg and his wife niece of the countess. There are other later and modern monuments and slabs, notably a fine group by Flaxman to the memory of the four children of Sir Thomas, the sixth baronet; two of these children were painted by Hoppner in his well-known picture 'The Sisters.'
There are three bells cast by Taylor & Co. in 1851. The plate consists of a silver cup of the normal Elizabethan type, a cover paten with the York mark for 1617, a paten, probably silver, but without marks and having a plated stem, and a very fine pair of flagons with rich repoussé ornament, bearing the London mark of 1646. The dolphin embowed of the Franklands of Thirkleby is worked into the ornament of the barrels.
The registers begin in 1611.
From A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2 (1923), pp. 55-58. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64611&strquery=Thirkleby Date accessed: 15 May 2011.
THIRKLEBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Thirsk; containing, with the hamlet of Osgoodby, 309 inhabitants. It includes the villages of Great and Little Thirkleby, separated from each other by a stream. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online data content from parish registers of Thirkleby exists at some of the following websites and for the specified ranges of years:
|IARC = Archive.org|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|ANC = ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|HATH = HathiTrust.org|
|JOIN = JoinerMarriageIndex.co.uk - (£)|
|THIRKLEBY PARISH (1718) Online Records|
|| 1718-1836, 1846, 1848
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding **Chapelry** and comprising the whole ancient parish of Thirkleby to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the Thirkleby page.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This ancient parish (AP) was created before 1813. Church of England records began in 1603.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Yorkshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 326-328. Date accessed: 16 October 2013.