Tehama County, California Genealogy
|Tehama County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||April 9, 1856|
|County Seat||Red Bluff|
|Address|| Tehama County Courthouse|
633 Washington Street
Red Bluff, CA 96080
Tehama County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Biography
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church History and Records
- 5.6 Court Records
- 5.7 Crime and Criminals
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 5.10 Gazetteers
- 5.11 Genealogy
- 5.12 History
- 5.13 Land and Property
- 5.14 Maps
- 5.15 Migration
- 5.16 Military History and Records
- 5.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.18 Newspapers
- 5.19 Obituaries
- 5.20 Periodicals
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Repositories
- 5.23 Societies
- 5.24 Taxation
- 5.25 Vital Records
- 5.26 Voting Registers
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Tehama County, California Record Dates
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1889
marriage records from 1856 and military records from 1944
The county was named for the City of Tehama. The county seat Red Bluff and the county was created 1856. The County is located in the north central area of the state.
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Index to Tehama County Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Tehama County Biographies (USGenWeb Archives)
- Tehema County Transcribed Biographies (CAGenWeb Project)
The following web sites may have additional information on Tehama County cemeteries.
- Interment.net California cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Tehama County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Tehama County, California Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- The Lassen Cutoff 1848 was established by gold rushers from Oregon going to California. It branched off the Applegate Trail at Davis Creek, went through Devil's Garden to the Pit River passing east of Mt. Lassen, and turning west to Lassen Rancho, California, and from there to Sacramento. In some years as much as 1/3 of emigrants mistakenly took the Applegate Trail-Lassen Cutoff, a much longer and more difficult trail than the Truckee or Carson routes.
- Nobles Road 1851 from the Applegate Trail at Rabbithole Springs in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada to Shasta City, California
Military History and Records
- 1883 - Tehama County – List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883 (Genealogy Trails)
- 1886 - Roster of Civil War Veterans, J. K. Mansfield Post No. 75, G. A. R. 1886 (USGenWeb Archives)
World War II
- Index to Tehama County World War II Army Enlistees (USGenWeb Archives)
- Tehama County, World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces Personnel (Genealogy Trails)
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Tehama County, California Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Tehama County Obituary Index (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to Tehama County Obituaries (USGenWeb Archives)
- Obituaries and Death Notices - Index of surnames (CAGenWeb Project)
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Tehama - Probate records.
Online Probate Records
- 1782 – 1999 California Wills and Probate Records 1782-1999 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1833 – 1991 California Probate Estate Files 1833-1991 at FamilySearch — images
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Corning California Family History Center
- Red Bluff California Family History Center
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
- 1812 - 1988 - California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988 at FamilySearch — index
- 1905 - 1995 - California Birth Index, 1905-1995 at FamilySearch — index
- Early Tehama County Birth Notices (CAGenWeb Archives)
- Early Tehama County Birth Notices by year (Genealogy Trails)
- 1850 - 1945 - California Marriages, 1850-1945 at FamilySearch — index
- 1850 - 1952 - California, County Marriages, 1850-1952 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1854 - 1885 - Western States Marriage Index.
- 1854 - 1860 - Tehama County Marriage Index, 1854-1860 (CAGenWeb Project)
- 1960 - 1985 - California Marriage Index, 1960-1985 at FamilySearch — index and images
- Early Tehama County Marriage Notices (CAGenWeb Project)
- Early Tehama County Marriage Notices (Genealogy Trails)
- 1905 - 1939 - California Death Index, 1905-1939 at FamilySearch — index
- 1940 - 1997 - California Death Index, 1940-1997 at FamilySearch — index
- Tehama County Obituaries and Death Notices - Index of surnames (CAGenWeb Project)
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Tehama County Genealogical and Historical Society
P. 0. Box 415
Red Bluff, CA 96080
- Tehama County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Tehama County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Tehama County, California Genealogy Trails
- Tehama County CA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 62-75. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Tehama County, California. Page 87At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Tehama County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehama_County,_California 05/09/2017.
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).