Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Taylor County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Taylor County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||January 15, 1852|
|Address|| Taylor County Courthouse|
1 Courthouse Square; PO Box 536
Butler, GA 31006
Taylor County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Voter Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Taylor County, Georgia Record Dates
Taylor County Courthouse
1 Courthouse Square; PO Box 536
Butler, GA 31006
Probate Court has marriage and probate records from 1852; Clerk Superior Court has divorce and land recrods from 1852, military discharge records from 1922 and court records
Clerk of Superior Court
P.O. Box 248
Butler, GA 31006
Telephone: (478) 862-5594
Fax: (478) 862-5334
Probate Court of Taylor County
P.O. Box 536
Butler, GA 31006
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
The following web site may have additional information on Taylor County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Georgia cemetery records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Georgia Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
Regiments. Service men in Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 27th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 28th Battalion, Georgia Siege Artillery (Confederate) , Company F
- - 28th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 41st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
- - 45th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 59th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company C
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1861-1865, 1890-1919 - Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Taylor County). 1963. Confederate roster 1861-1865, Confederate muster rolls 1861-1865, and Confederate pension rolls 1890-1919. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 321104
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org - images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1852-1908 Abstract of administrator and guardian bonds book A 1852-1908 : Taylor County, Georgia, USGenWeb Archives
- 1853-1917 Index to Will Book A, 1853-1917 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1560-1993 - Georgia, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1785-1950 - Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 - Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 - Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 - Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1852-1865 - Taylor County Marriage Book A 1852-1865. Batch M713791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1895 - Taylor County Marriage Index 1865-1895. Batch M713792 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1885-1886 - Taylor County Marriages from old Newspapers 1885-1886 Georgia Pioneers
- 1914 - 1927 - Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1919 - 1998 - Georgia Deaths 1919-1998 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1928 - 1939 - Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1933 - 1998 - Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
Vital Record Substitutes
- 1867-1868 - Georgia, Reconstruction Registration Oath Books, 1867-1868 at FamilySearch — index
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Taylor County Historical and Genealogical Society
PO Box 1925
Butler, GA 31006-1925
Telephone Number: 912-923-1525
Central Georgia Genealogical Society
Post Office Box 2024
Warner Robins, GA
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Taylor County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Taylor County, GAGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Taylor County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Taylor County, Georgia. Page 160 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 53. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.