Tasmania, Australia Genealogy
|Tasmania Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Tasmania, Australia ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Tasmania was separated from New South Wales and became an independent colony in 1825. Its capital is Hobart.
Getting Started with Tasmania Research
Numerous articles are available on FamilySearch Wiki to help you get started in family history. This portal will provide links to articles about general research topics.
- Identify What You Know
- Decide What You Want to Learn
- Select Records to Search
- Obtain and Search the Records
- Use the Information
- 1839-1938 - Australia, Tasmania, Civil Registration (District Registers), 1839-1938 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1829 - 2001 Australia, Tasmania, Miscellaneous Records, 1829-2001 at FamilySearch — index and images
A wiki article describing this collection is found at:
- Tasmania Archives Online (an online searchable index of the Archives Office of Tasmania holdings.
- Tasmania Archives Name Indexes (online databases for Wills, Convicts, Shipping Arrivals and Departures, Inquests, Census Returns etc.
- Colonial Tasmanian Family Links Database: Essentially the Tasmanian Pioneers Index with some linking between the various families. As the linking has been done automatically it is prone to errors and all references should be checked against the original source material.