Talk:New York Compiled Genealogies
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Talk:New York, United States Genealogy)
|WikiProject New York||(Rated-Class)|
Broken links have been fixed, but much of he information on this page needs to be updated, regarding FamilySearch Lynda 23:29, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
Old content to be moved by Danielle
- early NY records are in Dutch
- NY/NJ combined probate 1702-1738
- NY town historians help genealogists
- At least 29 counties have unique probate petitions with a list of heirs
- There are more Irish in New York City than in Dublin, Ireland; more Italians in New York City than in Rome, Italy; and more Jews in New York City than in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- The Digital Collections of the New York States Archives includes Native American censuses covering the reservations of the Tuscarora, Oneida, Onondaga, Buffalo Creek Seneca, Seneca of Cattaragus, Cayuga, Tonawanda and St. Regis Mohawk tribes.
- Nearly one-third of all Revolutionary War battles took place in New York, including the battles of Long Island, Oriskany, Bennington, and Saratoga. During the Civil War, New York had 465,000 Union soldiers serve - more than any other state. For more information and resources on military records for New York, go to the New York Military Records page.
- The earliest European settlers were from the The Netherlands.
- How to obtain copies of Vital Records for Genealogical Purposes in Upstate New York a blog article describing the use of microfiche indexes 1881-present in NY prior to ordering from the State Health Dept.
- Online New York Death Records, Indexes, Obituaries and Cemeteries A list of online death records indexes for New York City and State.
- Ellis Island Immigration Record Search New York City passenger arrival lists index 1892-1924. For a more advanced search engine helpful for east Europeans see Ellis Island in One Step.
- Castle Garden Immigration Index New York City passenger arrival lists index 1820-1892. For a more advanced search engine helpful for east Europeans see Castle Garden in One Step.
- New York Ancestors NEHGS's New York databases and articles about probate, census, tax, cemeteries, church, court, and vital records, genealogy and biography.
- New York Genealogical and Biographical Society Research Aids (for NYGBS members only) digitized New York Genealogical and Biographical Record (complete series), plus over 100 articles, bibliographies, and research tips.
- FultonHistory.com - New York State historical newspaper archives and search engine.
- New York county creation dates and parent counties.