Talgarth, Breconshire Genealogy
TÀLGARTH, a parish, partly in the hundred of Tàlgarth, in which it comprises the decayed borough of Tàlgarth, and the townships of Grwyne Vawr and Grwyne Vechan; and partly in the hundred of Pencelly; unions of Hay and Crickhowel, county of Brecknock, South Wales, 9 miles (E. N. E.) from Brecknock. This place derives its name from its situation in front of the chain of lofty hills called the Black Mountains, which are partly included within the limits of the parish. The village stands within a mile of the turnpike road leading from London to Brecknock, through Hay; and the Brecknock and Hay tramroad, in its course through the parish, passes close to it. The church, which stands in the higher part of the village, is dedicated to St. Gwendeline, or Gwenvrewi, and is a spacious and ancient structure, with a handsome square embattled tower surmounted with turrets. The Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have places of worship.
TALGARTH, a parish in the hundred of the same name, county Brecon, 7 miles S.W, of Hay, its post town, and 9 from Brecon. It has stations on the Mid Wales and Brecon and Merthyr railways. It is situated on the river Llyffin, under Pen-cader-fawr, among the Black mountains, and near the river Ennig. Talgarth is a borough by prescription, but without privilege or municipal jurisdiction. The parish includes Forest, Grwyne, Pwll-y-wrach, and Trefeccan. For more information see Talgarth, Breconshire at Genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 384-396. Adapted. Date accessed: 30 January 2014.