Tacoma Washington Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
NOTICE: During inclement weather, or other emergencies: Always call the Family History Center (253) 564-1103, to see if we have remained open. If no one answers the phone, we are closed.
Welcome to the The Tacoma Family History Center webpage! Our hours are listed below.
*** We ask that you bring a 4GB pen drive to download documents and pictures from the computer, to retrieve them from the scanner, and transfer them to your Family Search account or other locations where you store your information online for easy access at home as well as at the Family History Center. Printing will be limited. We will train patrons in the use of the pen drive.
***No food or drink are to be brought into the Learning Room with the computers or into the Family History Center itself. There is a drinking fountain available in the hallway and we ask that patrons eat before coming or after leaving the Center. Thank you.
***We are not at this time a Discovery Center. Please bring only children who are old enough to do Family History work. Childcare is not provided.
- 5915 S 12th St Tacoma WA 98466 United States
- Family History Center is located in the building at the corner of 12th and Pearl St.
- Family History Center entrance is on the south side of the building facing 12th St.
- Entrance is marked by a small sign "Family History Center" near the steps.
Tues 9 am-8:30 pm. Wed 9 am-3 pm, 6 - 8:30 pm. Thurs 9 am - 3 pm; 6 - 8:30 pm. Sat 10 am-3:00 pm
Call in case of inclement weather: Closed all Major Holidays: Closed Memorial Day weekend: Independence Day: Labor Day weekend: Closed the first Saturday in April and October:
Closed Thanksgiving week (Nov 19 -24, re- opening Tuesday, Nov 27, 2018). Closed the last two weeks of December and open on our regular schedule following New Years Day, Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
Center Resources Collections:
- FamilySearch Catalog: This Center may have various films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog. (Ordering of microfilms will discontinue as of August 31, 2017.) Polk City Directories for Tacoma, Washington, Tacoma Suburban Directories, the City of Puyallup, Washington, and various Directories for surrounding areas and cities are now available in the Northwest Room of the Tacoma Public Library in downtown Tacoma, just 3 miles from the Tacoma Family History Center https://www.piercecountylibrary.org A large collection of Microfilm and Microfiche is available. Check for available items through the FamilySearch Catalog to see if it is at the Tacoma Family History Center.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This Center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the Center to premium Family History software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. We have 8 computers which access the portal (these premium sites). We also have a room with additional counter space for laptop use with charging plugs and access to the Internet. We have two microfilm and one microfiche reader.