Sweetwater County, Wyoming Genealogy
- 1 County Information
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biographies
- 2.3 Business, Commerce, and Occupations
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census Records
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Directories
- 2.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.10 Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
- 2.11 Funeral Homes
- 2.12 Genealogies
- 2.13 Guardianship
- 2.14 Land and Property Records
- 2.15 Local Histories
- 2.16 Maps and Gazetteers
- 2.17 Migration
- 2.18 Military Records
- 2.19 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.20 Newspapers
- 2.21 Obituaries
- 2.22 Other Records
- 2.23 Periodicals
- 2.24 Probate Records
- 2.25 School Records
- 2.26 Tax Records
- 2.27 Vital Records
- 3 Research Facilities
- 4 Societies
- 5 Websites
- 6 Research Guides
- 7 References
Sweetwater County Courthouse
80 W Flaming Gorge Way
PO Box 730
Green River, WY 82935
Sweetwater County Website
County Clerk has marriage records from 1864 and land records from 1876. Clerk of the District Court has divorce, probate and court records.
Sweetwater County, Wyoming Record Dates
Information for this chart was taken from various sources, often containing conflicting dates. This information should be taken as a guide and should be verified by contacting the county and/or the state government agency.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
For a complete list of populated places, including small neighborhoods and suburbs, visit Hometown Locator. The following are the most historically and genealogically relevant populated places in this county:
Business, Commerce, and Occupations
The following web site has additional information on Sweetwater county cemeteries.
- Interment.net Wyoming cemetery records by county.
Before Wyoming was a state in 1890, Wyoming was included in the 1850 Utah Territory. In the 1860 Census, it was enumerated as Nebraska Territory. The first Wyoming Territorial Census was taken in 1869, right after Wyoming Territory was created, and is available on microfilm at the Wyoming State Archives and at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (FHL film 2261365). The 1870 and 1880 Federal Censuses included Wyoming Territory. See links listed below. State censuses were taken for Wyoming but they were mostly statistical censuses with very little individual information. See Wyoming Census for more information.
Territory and State Census Records
- 1850 - United States Census, 1850 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; North Dakota was included in the 1850 Utah Territory Census.
- 1860 - 1910 - Wyoming Compiled Census at Ancestry.com — ($), index and images
- 1860 - United States Census, 1860 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Wyoming was included in the 1860 Nebraska Territory Census
- 1869 - Wyoming Territorial Census at Sweetwater County GenWeb — index and images
- 1870 - United States Census, 1870 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Wyoming Territory Census
- 1880 - United States Census, 1880 at FamilySearch Historical Records — index and images; Wyoming Territory Census
Federal Census Records
Federal Censuses were taken for the state of Wyoming starting in 1890, although no records survived. The 1900 Census is the next Federal Census available. For links to Federal Census indexes, see Wyoming Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Wyoming denominations, view the Wyoming Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, and Religious Groups
Vase Funeral Home
154 Elk St
Rock Springs, WY 82901, USA
2800 Commercial Way
Rock Springs, WY 82901, USA
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Wyoming Land and Property for additional information about early Wyoming land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed. Online Land Records
- Land Patent Search - index to federal patents and homesteads on the Bureau of Land Management website, some images available
- 1796 - 1907 - U.S. General Land Office Records, 1796-1907 at Ancestry - index, info taken from Bureau of Land Management website
- 1863 - 1908 - U.S. Homestead Records 1863-1908 at Ancestry.com - ($), index and images
- Letters of a Woman Homesteader at Google Books — free e-book by Elinore Pruitt Stewart
- The Chinese massacre at Rock Springs, Wyoming Territory, September 2, 1885 at Internet Archive — free e-book by Isaac H. Bromley
- Sweetwater County Oral Histories at Wyoming State Archives
- Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church Centennial - pdf at Diocese of Cheyenne
Maps and Gazetteers
- Interactive Formation Boundary Map of Wyoming - shows boundary changes for Wyoming Counties
- Historical Maps and Atlases of wyoming - maps and atlases of Wyoming
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map South Superior Sep 1920 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Rock Springs Sep 1890 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Rock Springs Apr 1894 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Rock Springs Jan 1903 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Rock Springs Jun 1907 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Rock Springs Jun 1912 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Rock Springs Sep 1920 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Green River Apr 1894 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Green River Jun 1907 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Green River May 1912 - at Library of Congress
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Map Green River Oct 1920 - at Library of Congress
Early migration routes to and from Sweetwater County, Wyoming Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
- South Pass
- Green River
- Oregon Trail 1830s to 1890s from western Missouri to Oregon City, Oregon
- Sublette-Greenwood_Cutoff 1844 from South Pass, Wyoming to Fort Hall, Idaho
- California Trail 1846 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Mormon Trail 1846 to 1869 from Nauvoo, Illinois to Salt Lake City, Utah
- Cherokee Trail 1850 from Salina, Oklahoma to Grainger/Fort Bridger, Wyoming
- Union Pacific Railroad 1925 from Grainger, Wyoming via Boise to Portland, Oregon
No known military units were raised specifically from Wyoming as it did not become a state until 1890. However men from the territories that became Wyoming fought in other units during the Civil War.
- 1861 - 1865 Dakota Territory Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.— index
- 1883 List of Civil War Pensioners, Wyoming, 1883 - Index only
- 1890 United States Census of Union Veterans and Widows of the Civil War, 1890 at FamilySearch.— index
World War I
World War II
- WWII Army and Army Air Force Casualties for Wyoming - Index only
For further information see Wyoming Military Records.
Naturalization and Citizenship
For more information, see Wyoming Newspapers.
Wyoming Newspapers Online
- Wyoming Newspapers.
- GenealogyBank - ($), contains images of Wyoming newspapers
- Newspaper Archive - ($), contains images of Wyoming newspapers
- Chronicling America - contains images of some Wyoming newspapers; searching tips
- Elephind - Free; search engine that retrieves newspaper images from other free newspaper websites
Wyoming Newspaper Catalogs
- U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present on Chronicling America - contains a list of all known newspapers and the dates they cover; once you locate a newspaper name, contact the local library to see if they have copies of the newspaper
1882 Poll Book for Green River, Sweetwater County, Wyoming.
- Union Pacific Coal Company Magazines at Internet Archive
- Rock Springs High School Yearbooks at Internet Archive
In most counties in Wyoming, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Wyoming- Sweetwater - Probate records.
The bulk of the probate case files from the 1870's to the 1940's have been transferred to the Wyoming State Archives in Cheyenne. Check their website for additional details.
Wyoming tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records.
See also How to order Wyoming Vital Records, order electronically online $ or download an application for Wyoming Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. For records more than 50 years old visit Wyoming State Archives
- 1839-1957 - Wyoming, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- Western States Marriage Index - Index, incomplete, over 924 marriages 7 Jun 1870 to 25 Jun 1904 list of counties included
- 1867 - 1941 Wyoming Marriages 1867-1941 at FindMyPast ($), index.
- 1877 - 1920 Wyoming, Marriages, 1877-1920 at FamilySearch— Index
- 1877 - 1920 Wyoming, Marriages, 1877-1920 at MyHeritage ($) — index.
- Sweetwater County GenWeb Marriage index, formation of county to 2009 available as a spreadsheet
- Wyoming Marriage Index at Internet Archive — scans of microfilm index
- Wyoming Death Index at Wyoming State Archives — index (currently contains only A-E, it is a work in progress)
- Wyoming Death Index at Internet Archive — scans of microfilm index
- Wyoming Divorce Index at Internet Archive — scans of microfilm index
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes.
Rock Springs Historical Museum
201 B St.
Rock Springs 82901
Various holdings including sporadic Polk city directories and high school yearbooks.
Sweetwater County Historical Museum
3 E. Flaming Gorge Way
Green River 82935
County, Township and City Societies
- Sweetwater County WYGenWeb
- Sweetwater County, WY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wyoming Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wyoming Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Genealogy Trails: Sweetwater County Site. A Volunteer project dedicated to making genealogy records free to the public. Includes links to births, marriages and deaths; newspaper stories obituaries, censuses, military data, and more.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- http://genealogytrails.com/wyo/sweetwater/ accessed 11/15/2016
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetwater_County,_Wyoming accessed 11/15/2016
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 767. Sweetwater County, Wyoming
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sweetwater County, Wyoming. Page 767. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 768; Wyoming Department of Health, “Vital Statistics Services,” https://health.wyo.gov/admin/vitalstatistics/ accessed 28 June 2017.
- Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Rev. ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 1992), 837; Alice M. Hetzel, U.S. Vital Statistics System: Major Activities and Developments, 1950-95 (Hyattsville, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, ), 58.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sweetwater County, Wyoming," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetwater_County,_Wyoming#Communities accessed 29 November 2016.
- On microfilm number: 2261365.
- ’'Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 761. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ‘’Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources,’’ 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 2004), 761. Free online version; FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004; WorldCat entry.
- Jim Tompkins, "The Oregon Trail 1841-1848 Map IV" in Oregon Trail Landmarks at http://www.oregonpioneers.com/OTMap4.jpg (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "Oregon California Trails Association" at http://octatrails.micromaps.com/ (accessed 18 July 2011).
- "The Pioneer Story: The Mormon Pioneer Trail" in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at http://lds.org/gospellibrary/pioneer/pioneerstory.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Cherokee Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_Trail (accessed 19 July 2011).