Svendborg County, Denmark Genealogy
|Denmark Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Guide to Svendborg ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
How to Find Birth, Marriage, and Death Information
Instructions for finding records are found on the individual parish pages, linked to the clickable map and parish list below. .
Svendborg County (Danish: Svendborg Amt) is a former province in Denmark, located on the southern half of the island of Funen in central Denmark. Svendborg County was established in 1793 and abolished in 1970 when it merged with Odense County forming the new Funen County.
The south Funen area was organized as Nyborg County in 1662, a province also including the Hindsholm peninsula. Hindsholm was incorporated into the new Odense County while the bulk of the former province was merged with Tranekær County and renamed to Svendborg County. This situation lasted until 1970 when Odense and Svendborg merged to form Funen County.
Svendborg County featured the market towns (købstæder) of Faaborg, Nyborg, Rudkøbing, Svendborg, and Ærøskøbing. The latter town became part of the province in 1864. In spiritual matters, the county belonged to the Diocese of Funen.
Archives, Societies, and Libraries
(enter archive, society, library contact information)
- 1860 - Denmark Census, 1860 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1870 - Denmark Census, 1870 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1880 - Denmark Census, 1880 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1890 - Denmark Census, 1890 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1901 - Denmark Census, 1901 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1906 - Denmark Census, 1906 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1916 - Denmark Census, 1916 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921 - Denmark Census, 1921 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Denmark Census, 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1930 - Denmark Census, 1930 at FamilySearch — index and images