Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy
Guide to Sussex County, Delaware ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sussex County, Delaware|
Location in the state of Delaware
Location of Delaware in the U.S.
|Founded||August 8, 1673|
|Address|| Administrative Office Building, 1st Floor, 2 The Circle|
PO Box 589
Georgetown, DE 19947
Phone: (302) 855-7785 Sussex County Courthouse
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Sussex County, Delaware Historical Facts
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Bible Records
- 5.2 Cemeteries
- 5.3 Census
- 5.4 Church Records
- 5.5 Court Records
- 5.6 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.7 Ethnic, Political and Religious Groups
- 5.8 Gazetteers
- 5.9 Genealogy
- 5.10 History
- 5.11 Land and Property
- 5.12 Maps
- 5.13 Migration
- 5.14 Military
- 5.15 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 5.16 Newspapers
- 5.17 Occupations
- 5.18 Periodicals
- 5.19 Poorhouse, Almshouse
- 5.20 Probate
- 5.21 Repositories
- 5.22 Schools
- 5.23 Taxation
- 5.24 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Sussex County, Delaware Record Dates
Formerly known as Deale County, the name was changed to Sussex on 4 Dec 1682.
The Recorder of deeds has land records from 1693.
Register of Wills houses the probate records
Sussex County, Delaware Historical Facts
The county seat is Georgetown and the county was created August 8, 1683. The County is located in the south area of the state.
Because of the ongoing boundary disputes between Lord Baltimore of Maryland and William Pitt of Pennsylvania, much of Sussex County (excepting a few miles inland from the coast) was also recognized as part of Maryland's Somerset County up through 1760. Both Pennsylvania (and, after 1710, Delaware) and Maryland issued land patents for the area, sometimes in conflict with each other.
The British Crown ordered the dispute to be settled in 1760, and commissioned Charles Mason and Jermiah Dixon to survey the boundary. In 1769, the survey was completed, defining the border between Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania that exists today.
The border between Sussex and Kent Counties, Delaware was set in 1683 and has not changed since then.
For animated maps illustrating Delaware County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Delaware County Boundary Maps" (1673-1841) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Hundreds: More information can be found at Delaware Hundreds.
Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy Resources
The following web sites may have additional information on Sussex County cemeteries.
- Interment.net Delaware cemetery records by County.
For tips on accessing Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy census records online, see: Delaware Census.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political and Religious Groups
Land and Property
- 1861-1865 - Delaware Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship
- DeValinger, Leon. A Calendar of Sussex County, Delaware Probate Records, 1680-1800. Dover, Delaware: Public Archives Commission, 1964.
- Moore, Marguerite R. indexes for Sussex 1800-1869, three volumes(Westminster, Md.: Family Line Publications, 1995-97.)
Societies and Libraries
Georgetown Historical Society
510 S. Bedford Street
Georgetown, DE 19947
302 855-1030 (Fax)
Laurel Public Library
101 E 4th St
Laurel, DE 19956
Sussex County Genealogical Society
c/o Rehoboth Beach Public Library
226 Rehoboth Avenue
Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Sussex County, DE History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Delaware Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Delaware Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Sussex County DEGenWeb Project, an member of The DEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Sussex County
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Sussex County
- Sussex County, Delaware Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Sussex County Genealogy (Delaware Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 109-117. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sussex, Delaware Page 121 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sussex County," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_County,_Delaware 04/27/2017.