Stratton, Cornwall Genealogy
Stratton St Andrew
|Poor Law Union||Stratton|
|Parish registers: 1687|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1611|
|Rural Deanery||Trigg Major|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
STRATTON (St. Andrew), a market-town and parish and the head of a union, in the hundred of Stratton, E. division of Cornwall, 17½ miles (N. N. W.) from Launceston, and 223 (W. by S.) from London. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Stratton St Andrew is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: Bush.
The 12th century Norman church dedicated to Saint Andrew is listed Grade I. The church contains a brass to Sir John Arundell of Trerice, 1561.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Stratton, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Stratton, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 216
There is a typographical error in the waypoints for this collection of images and the Cornwall Record Office entry is missing one number and the waypoints await correction, Source Citiation should be for P 216.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Stratton.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Stratton in GENUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 244-246. Date accessed: 25 March 2013
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.