Story County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Story County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Story County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouses
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Story County, Iowa Record Dates
1846--Story County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Boone, Polk, and Linn Counties prior to organization 1June 1853. County seat: Nevada 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1864 Fire burned the courthouse on January 1.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
- Palestine Cemetery, Huxley BillionGraves
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Ames, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the Bethania (Bethany) Lutheran Church, Kelley, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Gilbert, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Roland, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Slater, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Story City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Story County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Story County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- A history of Story County, Iowa : carefully compiled from the earliest settlement to the present. By William G. Allen. Reprint. Originally published: Des Moines : Iowa Print. Co., 1887. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Story Co. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- A history of the town of Ames, Story County, Iowa : together with a brief description of the surrounding country, and the Iowa State Agricultural College, located at Ames. By Cyrus E. Turner. Ames, Iowa : Ames Intelligencer, 1871. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, ISU Library.
- Resources and wealth of Story County, Iowa : a pamphlet containing a description of Story County. By W. C. B. Allen. Nevada, Iowa : Representative Power Press Print, 1880. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
Regiments. Service men in Story County, Iowa Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Story County, Iowa Genealogy:
- - 3rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
- Roland Historical Society Archives, Story County (1895-1975)
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Story - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1921-1940 - Iowa, Death Records, 1921-1940 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Story County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Story County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 225-231. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).