Stoke Gifford, Gloucestershire Genealogy
Guide to Stoke Gifford, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Stoke Gifford, Gloucestershire|
|Poor Law Union||Clifton|
|Parish registers: 1556|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1678|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
STOKE-GIFFORD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Clifton, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester,4 miles (N. N. E.) from Bristol. It is situated on the road from Bristol to Gloucester. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|MARR1 = Somerset Marriages (pre-1754) (findmypast) - (£)|
|STOKE GIFFORD PARISH Online Records|
Non-conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1642-1996 England, Gloucestershire Non-conformist Records, 1642-1996 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A , A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 217-220. Date accessed: 04 February 2013.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 1 December 2012.
- 'Somerset Marriages (pre-1754)', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014. Described as 'Stoke St Michael.'