St Stephen Coleman Street, London Genealogy
London St Stephen Coleman Street ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Stephen Coleman Street, London|
St Stephen Coleman Street church site
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||City of London|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
"St Stephen Coleman Street, the church of, is situated near the south end of the west side of this street, and derives its name and addition..."
The church has been demolished.
St. Stephen, Coleman-street is a parish, of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is the Parishioners. It is a parish within the poor-law union of the City of London.
- St Stephen, Coleman Street, Coleman Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/151); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- St Stephen, Coleman Street, Coleman Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/219); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Coleman Street Ward - St Stephens Paroche in Coalemanstreeteat British History Online
- St Stephen, Coleman Street, Coleman Street Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/513); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
Before 1858, St Stephen Coleman Street, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Transcripts of early St Stephen Coleman Street, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the church were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Find A Grave has created a page on the defunct St Stephen Churchyard (1 entry).
Websites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Stephen Coleman Street Parish records)
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Stephen Coleman Street')
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted. Date accessed: 20 December 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Stephen, Coleman Street in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Stephen Coleman Street in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Stephen Coleman Street in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Stephen Coleman Street in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches C019662, P019661 (1717-1875, inactive 11/2/2012), see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes microfilmed parish registers.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011; Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., 1994). FHL Book 942 K22L 1994
- John Hanson, "City of London Burials," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- Batch M019661-M019662, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts and microfilmed parish registers.
- "Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches," British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.