St Paul's Cathedral, London Genealogy
St Paul's Cathedral in London ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Paul's Cathedral, London|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||Not Applicable|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1697|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1814|
|Rural Deanery||Not Applicable|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
St Paul's Cathedral Timeline
- 604 - original church founded on this site
- 1666 - building badly damaged in Great Fire of London
- 1697 - rebuilding of Cathedral completed
St. Paul's Cathedral.—The original St-Paul's cathedral, on the same site as the present, was built in 604, by Ethelbert, uncle of King Sebert; and was burnt to the ground in 1087. A second cathedral, on the same site, was founded in 1087, by Bishop Maurice; was repaired in 1135, it was completely destroyed by the great fire.
St Paul's Cathedral parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Paul's Cathedral Online Parish Records|
|ANC 1||1697-1754, 1786-1807||1697-1754, 1786-1807||1697-1754, 1786-1807||1697-1754, 1786-1807||1697-1754, 1786-1807||1697-1754, 1786-1807|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the London Metropolitan Archives.
Add unique information about the censuses. Add links to online census records, and/or link to the Family History Library film/fiche numbers.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
A survey of tombs in St Paul's Cathedral, published 1614, is Holland's Monumenta Sepulchraria Sancti Pauli.
A survey of tombs in St. Paul's Cathedral, published 1633, is Ecclesia Sancti Pauli Illustrata, &c.
Transcripts of early St Paul's Cathedral, London Genealogy tombs found in the interior of the churches were published in Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St. Paul's Cathedral records)
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Paul's Cathedral')
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England &amp; Wales (1872) Adapted. Date accessed: 17 December 2013.
- County and Place Records, FreeReg, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Greater London marriage index parish list, FindMyPast.com, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Greater London Burial Index Parish Lists, FindMyPast.com, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Boyd’s London Burials parish list, FindMyPast.com, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1917, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-2003, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Searching Parish Records online (London) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Stuart A. Raymond, London and Middlesex: A Genealogical Bibliography (Birmingham, UK: Federation of Family History Societies, c1997), Vol. 2:29.
- John Weever, Ancient Funeral Monuments in Great Britain etc. (1631; reprint, London: W. Tooke, 1767). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Payne Fisher, The Tombs, Monuments, etc., Visible in S. Paul's Cathedral (and S. Faith's Beneath It) Previous to Its Destruction by Fire, A.D. 1666 (1684; reprint, 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- Percy C. Rushden, The Churchyard Inscriptions of the City of London (London: Phillimore and Co., Ltd., 1910). Digitised by Internet Archive.
- William Macdonald Sinclair, Memorials of St. Paul's Cathedral (London: Chapman and Hall, 1909).