St Michael Cornhill, London Genealogy
London St Michael Cornhill ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Michael Cornhill, London|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||City of London|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1546|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629-31; 1800|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Church records
- 2.2 Census records
- 2.3 Civil Registration
- 2.4 Probate records
- 2.5 Cemetery
- 2.6 Records of the Poor
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
St Michael Cornhill, the Churchill, is situated on the south side of Cornhill, up St. Michael's Alley. Its name,... Is derived from the St. two which is dedicated... The advowson of this church was anciently in the abbot and the canons of Evesham, who, in 1333, granted it to a priest named Sparling; but one rectory reverting to the conv, they continued its patrons till 1503, when by Ed D.,... They conveyed the advowson to the drapers company, in whom it has continued... The ancient church was destroyed, all but the tower, by the great fire of 1666, and was began to be rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1672. The interior of the church is light and commodious and is 87 feet long, 60 feet broad and 35 high. The tower, which is at a distance, one of the most striking ornaments of the city, is 130 feet high to the top of the pennacles. The church is a rectory in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the Drapers Company.
St Michael Cornhill belonged to Cornhill Ward.
1848 parish description
St. Michael, Cornhill is a parish, of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is the Drapers’ Company. It is a parish within the poor-law union of the City of London. 
- Overall, William Henry and Alfred James Waterlow. The Accounts of the Churchwardens of the Parish of St. Michael, Cornhill, in the City of London, from 1456 to 1608. With Miscellaneous Memoranda Contained in the Great Book of Accounts, and Extracts from the Proceedings of the Vestry, from 1563 to 1607. 1871. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/219); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cornhill Ward - St Mychells St Christofers & St Marye Wolchurche Parochesat British History Online
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/485); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/516); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/568); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1692-1932 Land Taxes
1695 Inhabitants Lists
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Will indexes for probate courts covering St Michael Cornhill Parish are available online.
Before 1858, St Michael Cornhill, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
CemeteryCatalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites(The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- The Parish Church of St. Michael Cornhill in the City of London (official website). History, photographs, visitor directions.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Michael Cornhill Parish Church records)
- Sketch of St Michael Cornhill Parish Churchat London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Michael Cornhill')
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-170. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 December 2013.
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Michael, Cornhill in the City of London. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Michael Cornhill in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Michael Cornhill in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Michael Cornhill in the City of London. Partially indexed.
- Batches P001541-P001542, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- 'Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- Joseph Lemuel Chester, The Parish Registers of St. Michael, Cornhill, London: Containing the Marriages, Baptisms, and Burials from 1546 to 1754 (1882). Digitized by Internet Archive.
- Batch M001541, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (A-M), England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes parish register transcripts (1546-1754) and parish registers (1754-1836).
- 'London Parish Record Transcripts,' The Genealogist, accessed 12 December 2011.
- Middlesex and London Coverage, FreeReg, accessed 6 November 2012.
- John Hanson, 'City of London Burials,' Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011.
- 'Webb's London Marriages - Marriages, periods and parishes/churches,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins, accessed 4 July 2011.
- 'Greater London Burials: Middlesex and City of London Burials: Parishes, Counts and References,' (Wayback Machine) British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.