St Michael Cornhill, London Genealogy
London St Michael Cornhill ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Michael Cornhill, London|
|Hundred||London, Within the Walls|
|Poor Law Union||City of London|
|Registration District||London City|
|Parish registers: 1546|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629-31; 1800|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|London Record Office|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Church records
- 2.2 Census records
- 2.3 Civil Registration
- 2.4 Probate records
- 2.5 Cemetery
- 2.6 Records of the Poor
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
Parish History[edit | edit source]
St Michael Cornhill, the Churchill, is situated on the south side of Cornhill, up St. Michael's Alley. Its name,... Is derived from the St. two which is dedicated... The advowson of this church was anciently in the abbot and the canons of Evesham, who, in 1333, granted it to a priest named Sparling; but one rectory reverting to the conv, they continued its patrons till 1503, when by Ed D.,... They conveyed the advowson to the drapers company, in whom it has continued... The ancient church was destroyed, all but the tower, by the great fire of 1666, and was began to be rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1672. The interior of the church is light and commodious and is 87 feet long, 60 feet broad and 35 high. The tower, which is at a distance, one of the most striking ornaments of the city, is 130 feet high to the top of the pennacles. The church is a rectory in the city, diocese and archdeaconry of London, and in the patronage of the Drapers Company.
St Michael Cornhill belonged to Cornhill Ward.
1848 parish description
St. Michael, Cornhill is a parish, of the city of London Within the Walls. The patron is the Drapers’ Company. It is a parish within the poor-law union of the City of London. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
St Michael Cornhill parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Michael Cornhill Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs||1546-1986||1546-1986||1546-1986|
|FS Catalog BTs||1629-1887||1629-1887||1629-1887|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the London Metropolitan Archives.
Overall, William Henry and Alfred James Waterlow. The Accounts of the Churchwardens of the Parish of St. Michael, Cornhill, in the City of London, from 1456 to 1608. With Miscellaneous Memoranda Contained in the Great Book of Accounts, and Extracts from the Proceedings of the Vestry, from 1563 to 1607. 1871. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
Census records[edit | edit source]
1541 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
1567 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/145/219); copy: FHL Film 2228700.
1582 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1582 London Subsidy Roll, Cornhill Ward - St Mychells St Christofers & St Marye Wolchurche Parochesat British History Online
1621 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/485); copy: FHL Film 2228702.
1625 Subsidies[edit | edit source]
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/516); copy: FHL Film 2228703.
1638 Inhabitants List[edit | edit source]
1641 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- St Michael, Cornhill, Cornhill Ward, London (The National Archives, Ref: E179/147/568); copy: FHL Film 2228704.
1692-1932 Land Taxes[edit source]
1695 Inhabitants Lists[edit source]
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Will indexes for probate courts covering St Michael Cornhill Parish are available online.
Before 1858, St Michael Cornhill, London Genealogy fell under the jurisdiction of the Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London. From 1858 to the present, refer to the Principal Probate Registry.
Go to London Probate Records to find the names of the courts having secondary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish.
Cemetery[edit | edit source]Catalogue of the most Memorable Persons who had visible Tombs, plated Gravestones ... in the City of London (through) A.D. 1700, which is available online.
Records of the Poor[edit | edit source]
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source](The London Family History Centre Catalogue is a terrific resource for identifying FamilySearch's London collections).
- The Parish Church of St. Michael Cornhill in the City of London (official website). History, photographs, visitor directions.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue (St Michael Cornhill Parish Church records)
- Sketch of St Michael Cornhill Parish Churchat London Ancestor
- Society of Genealogists Library Catalogue (to narrow results, conduct a subject search for 'London St Michael Cornhill')
References[edit | edit source]
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 129-170. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 December 2013.
- County and Place Records, FreeReg, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Greater London marriage index parish list, FindMyPast.com, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Greater London Burial Index Parish Lists, FindMyPast.com, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Boyd’s London Burials parish list, FindMyPast.com, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1917, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-2003, Ancestry, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Searching Parish Records online (London) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 22 April 2019.
- FamilySearch: a Guide to the British batches (City of London), ArcherSoftware.co.uk, accessed 22 April 2019.
- Payne Fisher and G. Blacker Morgan, Catalogue of the Tombs in the Churches of the City of London, A.D. 1666 (1668; reprint, London: Hasell, Watson, Viney, Ld., 1885). Digitised by Internet Archive.