St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex Genealogy
Guide to St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex ancestry, family history, and genealogy: Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|St Giles in the Fields, Middlesex|
St Giles In The Fields
|Hundred||Ossulstone (Holborn Division)|
|Poor Law Union||St Giles in the Fields; St George Bloomsbury|
|Registration District||St Giles|
|Parish registers: 1561; Separate registers exist for St Giles in the Fields British Lying-in Hospital beginning 1749|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Rural Deanery||Not created until 1858|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (London Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Middlesex Record Office|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Maps and Gazetteers
- 3 Websites
- 4 References
Parish History[edit | edit source]
St Giles-in-the-Fields, also commonly known as the Poets' Church, is a church in the London Borough of Camden, in the West End. It is close to the Centre Point office tower and the Tottenham Court Road tube station. The church is part of the Diocese of London within the Church of England. Several buildings have stood on the site; the present structure (in the Palladian style) was built between 1731 and 1733.
Church records[edit | edit source]
St Giles in the Fields parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|St Giles in the Fields Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Records are also available at the London Metropolitan Archives.
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census and Inhabitants Lists[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1600 Lay Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1600 - Lay Subsidy Returns for London, Middlesex, Surrey (north) 1593-1600: St Giles in the feildes and St Gyles in the feildes adhuc (TNA E179/142/234) at Alan H. Nelson website - free
1666 Hearth Tax[edit | edit source]
1693-1694 Four Shilling in the Pound Aid[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Middlesex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Contributor: Add information about the pertinent poor law unions in the area.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
'St Giles in the Fields, the church of, is situated on the south side of the High Street, and receives its addition from the circumstance of being formerly in the Fields, to distinguish it from that of St Giles, Cripplegate. This parish was anciently a village of the same name, and its church is supposed to owe its origin to the chapel which belonged to the hospital founded about 1117, by Queen Matilda, consort of Henry I, for the reception of a certain number of leprous persons belonging to the city of London and the county of Middlesex. In 1354, Edward III granted this hospital to the master and brethren of the order of Burton, St Lazar, of Jerusalem, in Leicestershire, for certain considerations, for which it became a cell to that order, till the general dissolution of religious houses by Henry VIII, who, in 1545, granted it to Lord Dudley. Soon after this period the chapel or church was made parochial, and on the 30th of April 1547, William Rawlinson was instituted Rector.
'The ancient church being very small, and much dilapidated, was taken down in 1623, and a church of brick was erected in its stead. This also became in its turn too small and inconvenient, when the inhabitants applied for an act of parliament to enable them to rebuild it; accordingly the old fabric was taken down in 1730, and the present very handsome edifice, designed by Gibbs, was erected and completed in 1733. This substantial church is built of Portland stone, its interior is seventy-five feet in length, exclusive of the recess for the altar, and sixty feet in width, and is divided into nave and aisles, by Portland stone columns of the Ionic order, which assist the main walls in carrying the roof. The tower and spire are also of Portland stone, and are 160 feet high to the vane.
'A new entrance gateway, of great beauty, has been within these twenty years erected, from the designs of William Leverton, Esq, in which is introduced an ancient piece of sculpture, of more curiosity than beauty, representing the Last Judgement. The church is a rectory, in the county and archdeaconry of Middlesex, in the diocese of London and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor.'
St. Giles-in the-Fields is a Tower parish. It is adjacent to the City of London, in the hundred of Ossulstone, Middlesex. The patron is the Crown.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia Wikipedia - St Giles-in-the-Fields. Adapted. Date accessed: 30 January 2014.
- 'Church of St. Giles-in-the-Fields', Survey of London: volume 5: St Giles-in-the-Fields, pt II (1914), pp. 127-140. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74293 Date accessed: 15 March 2012.
- James Elmes, A Topographical Dictionary of London and its Environs (London: Whittaker, Treacher and Arnot, 1831). Adapted. Digitised by Google Books.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) Adapted. Date accessed: 26 December 2013.