St Agness (Scillys), Cornwall Genealogy
AGNES (St.), One of the Scilly Islands, near the southern extremity of the group, separated on the NE from St. Mary's by St. Mary's Sound. It consists of two parts, St. Agnes-proper and the Gugh. 
St Agnes St Agnes (Scilly) is an Ancietn parish and the church is dedicated to St Agnes of Rome. The first church was built in the sixteenth or seventeenth century, but it was destroyed in a gale. It was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, but was again destroyed.
The current building was built by the islanders in the nineteenth century using the proceeds of the sale of a wreck, and the bell in the church was taken from that wreck. It is a Grade II listed building.
In 1821 a new west gallery and two new pews in the chancel were added by Bernard S. Herris
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
St Agness (Scillys), Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|St Agness (Scillys), Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
||1677-1794, 1869-1885|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable websites are:
- 1851 Jurisdiction Maps
- Vision of Britain