St. Philip Parish, Georgia
Before the American Revolution, the state church of Georgia was the Church of England (the Anglican Church, or Protestant Episcopal Church). Besides keeping parish registers, the church kept many records of a civil nature in their vestry books. The Vestry was as much a political body as a religious one. The wardens and commissioners were responsible for the roads, education, the poor and orphans, voting and collecting taxes in addition to their church duties.
Founded[edit | edit source]
St. Philip Parish (location, GA) was officially created in 1758 as an original colonial parish.
Boundary[edit | edit source]
Areas Served: St. Philip Parish served: FIX
Modern equivalent: The original parish covered part of what is present-day county.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Cemetery[edit | edit source]
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Parish Records[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]