St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
Guide to St. Martin Parish, Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Martin Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 17, 1811|
|County Seat||St. Martinville|
|Address|| 400 S Main St|
St Martinville, LA 70582
- 1 Parish Information
- 2 Parish Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Land
- 5.8 Local Histories
- 5.9 Maps
- 5.10 Military
- 5.11 Newspapers
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Obituaries
- 5.14 Taxation
- 5.15 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Record Dates
St. Martin Parish Courthouse
PO Box 9
Saint Martinville, LA 70582
Parish Clerk has marriage, probate court and land records.
- 1811--St. Martin Parish was created 17 April 1811 from Attakapas, (Discontinued 1811), Parish.
Parish seat: Saint Martinville 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- St. Martin Parish Biographies (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to St. Martin Parish Biography Records (USGenWeb Archives)
The following web sites may have additional information on St. Martin Parish cemeteries.
- Interment.net Louisiana cemetery records by Parish.
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
|St. Martin Parish Census Data|
- Index to St. Martin Parish Census Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- St. Martin Parish Court Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories.
War of 1812
- Some Military Land Grants In St Martin Parish Louisiana For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1883- List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883, St. Martin Parish (Genealogy Trails)
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1865 - Louisiana Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1898-1950 - Louisiana Confederate Pensions, 1898-1950 at FamilySearch — images
- Civil War Widow's Pension Application for Virginie Trosclair Green, St. Martin Parish, Louisiana (USGenWeb Archives)
Regiments. Service men in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy:
- - King's Battery, Louisiana Artillery (Confederate),
- - Landry's Company, Louisiana Artillery (Donaldsonville Artillery) (Confederate) ,
World War I
World War II
- 1940-1945 - Louisiana First Registration Draft Cards, compiled 1940-1945 at FamilySearch — index and images
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army & Army Air Forces Personnel, St. Martin Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- Korean War Fatal Casualties, St. Martin Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Vitnam War Fatal Casualties, St. Martin Parish (LAGenWeb Project)
- Newspaper Articles, St. Martin Parish, Louisiana (Genealogy Trails)
- St. Martin Parish News Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Online Probate Records
- 1756-1984 - Louisiana Wills and Probate Records 1756-1984 at Ancestry.com Ancestry.com — index and images $
- St. Martin Parish Obituaries (Genealogy Trails)
- Index to St. Martin Parish Obituary Records (USGenWeb Archives)
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
- Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
- Birth Records Compiled from the Southwest Index, St. Martin Parish, Louisiana - Indexed by date. (Genealogy Trails)
- 1837–1957 - Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch — index and images
- St. Martin Parish Marriage Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- 1850-1875, 1894-1960 - Louisiana Deaths, 1850-1875, 1894-1960 at FamilySearch — index and images
- St. Martin Parish Death Records (USGenWeb Archives)
- Death Notices, St. Martin Parish (Genealogy Trails)
Societies and Libraries
Morgan City Archives
Morgan City Public Library
220 Everett Street
Morgan City, LA 70380
Attakapas Historical Association
P.O. Box 43010 Usl
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- St. Martin Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- St. Martin Parish, LAGenWeb Project, part of the USGenWeb Project
- St. Martin Parish, USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- St. Martin Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- St. Martin Parish, Louisiana, Genealogy and History (Genealogy Trails)
- St. Martin Parish LA Genealogy (LDS Genealogy)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 264-278. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., St Martin, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- United States Census Bureau. "St. Martin Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22099.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.