St. Louis County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to St. Louis County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Louis County, Minnesota|
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1856|
|Address|| St. Louis County Courthouse|
100 N 5th Ave W
Duluth, MN 55802-1202
St. Louis County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 Cemeteries
- 5.2 Census
- 5.3 Church
- 5.4 Court
- 5.5 Emigration and Immigration
- 5.6 Land
- 5.7 Local Histories
- 5.8 Maps
- 5.9 Military
- 5.10 Newspapers
- 5.11 Obituaries
- 5.12 Probate
- 5.13 Taxation
- 5.14 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for St. Louis River. The County is located in the northeast area of the state. 
St. Louis County, Minnesota Record Dates
Clerk District Court has birth, death and marriage records from 1870,
burial permits from 1938, divorce, court and land records from 1859.
County Court has probate records. 
- 1856--St. Louis County was created 1 March 1856 from Itasca County. County seat: Duluth 
- For a brief history of how St. Louis County was named, click here, then select St. Louis County.
1869-70 Courthouse suffered a county record loss; cause unknown.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- Burned Counties Research in the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- Arlene Eakle, When the Records are Gone in the Tennessee Genealogy Blog.
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Minnesota Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1865 - Minnesota State Census, 1865 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885 - Minnesota State Census, 1885 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Minnesota State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
First Lutheran Church, Duluth
- Records of First Lutheran Church, Duluth, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Orr, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
St. Louis County
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, St. Louis County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Emigration and Immigration
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, St. Louis – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for St. Louis County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. Louis County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1865 - 2006 - Minnesota Obituaries 1865-2006 at FamilySearch— index and images
- 1962 - Present - Duluth Public Library has an Index to Obituaries printed in the Duluth News-Tribune and Duluth Herald newspapers from 1962 to the present.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Online Probate Records
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
St. Louis County Death Record Index covering the time period from January 1, 1870 through December 31, 2000. Hosted by Rootsweb
Societies and Libraries
St. Louis Park Historical Society
3700 Monterey Drive
St. Louis Park 55416
St. Louis County Historical Society
506 West Michigan Street
Canosia Historical Society
5762 N Pike Lake Rd
Duluth, MN 55811
Range Genealogical Society
PO Box 388
Chisholm MN 55719-0388
Twin Ports Genealogical Society
PO Box 16895
Duluth MN 55816-0895
The ‘DAR’ is dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving American History, and securing America’s future through better education for children. If you live in northern Minnesota or northwest Wisconsin and you think you might have a Revolutionary War Patriot in your family tree please contact this organization. They can assist you in filling out your application to be a member of the DAR.
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Wikipedia contributors, "St. Louis County, Minnesota" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis_County,_Minnesota accessed 15 Nov 2018
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 385-403. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), St Louis County, Minnesota page 368, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.