St. Johns Parish, Virginia

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

History[edit | edit source]

St. John's Parish has served New Kent, King and Queen, and King William counties. It was formed from part of Stratton Major Parish

Church services are no longer held at the old building, which has been renovated, but it is available for hire for special events.[1]

Church services are held in the new building.

Founded[edit | edit source]

Boundary[edit | edit source]

"An Act for dividing St. John's Parish, in the County of King-William" (1720) culled from Colonial Office sources at the National Archives in London, is published in:

  • Chamberlayne, Churchill G. "Seven Parish Acts Heretofore Unpublished," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1938):106-118. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).

Resources[edit | edit source]

Parish History[edit | edit source]

Church Records[edit | edit source]

Colonial parish registers do not survive.

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Historic St. John's Church, accessed 26 February 2011.
  2. Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).