St. George Utah FamilySearch Library/Discovery
DISCOVERY CENTER Reservations
The FamilySearch Discovery Center is free and is open to the public.
Because the Discovery Center Experience is a popular evening activity scheduling a visit ahead of time (required for groups of 6 or more) will result in a better experience, especially during peak evening visiting hours.
The scheduling page indicates available dates and times. You can check availability without placing a reservation and then return later to make a selection.
Start times are every 20 minutes. If your group is larger than 15, make multiple reservations to accommodate all the people in your group. (For example, for a group of 25, please reserve one time slot for 15 and another slot for the remaining 10.) Visitors typically spend 30 to 45 minutes to complete the experience.
What to Expect
When you arrive, you will be given an Ipad which will be used at each of the Discovery Experiences. EVERY person in the group will need a FamilySearch account username and password.
- Step 1. Login to FamilySearch and take a selfie.
- Step 2. Take a picture with your group in front of one of many historic or panorama backdrops. Through text messaging, this picture will be sent to you.
- Step 3. Choose between any or all of the Discovery Experiences presented on the large touch-screen displays.
Use the large interactive display screens to discover more about yourself as you visualize your family tree in unique ways.
- ALL ABOUT ME - What's so special about my birth year? Discover what was happening in the world the day you were born.
- WHERE I COME FROM - How in the world did I get here? View the geographical origins of your ancestors.
- PICTURE MY STORY - How would I look in my ancestor's clothing? Superimpose a picture of you onto the cultural clothes of your ancestors.
- RECORD MY STORY - What are my favorite memories? Capture your memories in this state-of-the-art story studio. Group and individual booths are available.
- MY FAMOUS RELATIVES - Learn of the famous people you are related to. See if you are related to other Discovery Center visitors.
Tips for Visitors
- You don't have to be a member of the LDS Church to have a FamilySearch account. Follow this link to set-up a new FamilySearch account - Setting Up a FamilySearch Account.
- FamilySearch accounts are free but are best set up at home before visiting the Discovery Center. Those without an account or who have forgotten their account username or password should arrive 30 minutes before their scheduled visit for assistance in establishing this information.
- You must have some FamilySearch Family Tree data that connects you to your first deceased ancestors.
- At the conclusion of the visit, photos, video recordings, and other information from the experience will be emailed to each visitor. Make sure your email address in FamilySearch is correct.
Anyone 8 years of age and older is eligible for a FamilySearch account; however, accounts for children ages 8 through 12 require parental permission via email at the time the account is created.
Account and password recovery resets require ONE of the following:
- The email address associated with the account and the ability to access the email while at the Center.
- The phone number associated with the account and the ability to receive text messages from that phone while at the Center.
- The LDS Membership Record Number (MRN). (Leaders might consider bringing a list of MRN's for the LDS youth who are in their group.)
Connecting to Ancestors
Linking an individual to their ancestors in FamilySearch is a separate activity from creating an account. Most people need access to their FamilySearch Family Tree in order to link themselves to their ancestors. This is best accomplished at home or during a separate visit to the Center. For youth it is helpful if a parent can be present.
Modified: 04/12/2018 by Theron and Shanna Schaefermeyer