St. Francois County, Missouri Genealogy
Guide to St. Francois County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|St. Francois County, Missouri|
Location in the state of Missouri
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 19, 1821|
|Address|| St. Francois County Courthouse|
County Courthouse Square
Farmington, MO 63640
St. Francois County Website
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- 7 References
St. Francois County, Missouri Record Dates
County Records has marriage and land records; Clerk of the Circuit Court has divorce records; Associate Circuit Court has probate records.
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- 1865 - 1885 St. Francois County Colored Marriage Index 1865-1885. Batch M515681 at FamilySearch - free.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Missouri Cemeteries for more information.|
- Missouri Cemeteries Missouri Access Genealogy
- 1732-1933 - Missouri State and Territorial Census Records, 1732-1933 at FamilySearch — index and images
For tips on accessing St. Francois County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- 1800 - 1991 Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1800-1991 at FamilySearch — index and images
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for St. Francois County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- History of southeast Missouri. Embracing an historical account of the counties of Ste. Genevieve, St. Francois, Perry, Cape Girardeau, Bollinger, Madison, New Madrid, Pemiscot, Dunklin, Scott, Mississippi, Stoddard, Butler, Wayne and Iron. Chicago, The Goodspeed publishing co., 1888.
- Online at MissouriDigitalHeritage (Free)
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of St. Francois County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Interactive map of St. Francois County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including St. Francois County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- 1900 - 1941 Missouri, Pre-WWII Adjutant General Enlistment Contracts, 1900-1941 at FamilySearch — images
- 1861 - 1865 Missouri, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 Missouri, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- Missouri, Confederate Pension Applications and Soldiers Home Applications at FamilySearch — images
Service men in St. Francois County, Missouri served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in St. Francois County, Missouri:
- - 68th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
World War II
- 1941 - 1946 - Missouri, Reports of Separation Notices, 1941-1946 at FamilySearch — index
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1800 - 1991 Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1800-1991 at FamilySearch — index
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as St. Francois County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Online Probate Records
- 1750 - 1988 Missouri Probate Records 1750-1998 at FamilySearch — images
- 1766 - 1988 Missouri Wills and Probate Records 1766-1988 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827 - 1935 Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1851 - 1910 Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1750 - 1920 Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1805 - 2002 Missouri, Marriage Records, 1805-2002 at [http://home.ancestry.com/
- 1836 - 1866 Marriage records, St. Francois County, Missouri : book "A" & "B," 1836-1866 at Ancestry.com ($)
- 1836 - 1876 St. Francois County Marriage Index 1836-1876. Batch M515682 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1850 Missouri Marriages to 1850 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1876 - 1885 St. Francois County Marriage Index 1876-1885. Batch M515683 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1834 - 1910 Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1976 Missouri, Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- St. Francois County Missouri Genealogy and History
- Farmington Public Library
101 N A Street
Farmington, MO 63640
Genealogy Department Website
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
|Missouri Genealogy||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||Major genealogy resource library, located in Indiana. On home page enter "St. Francois Missouri" and search catalog.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "St. Francois County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 422-438. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), St. Francois County, Missouri. Page 405 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f4/Igimissourir.pdf.