St. Asaph, Denbighshire, Wales Genealogy
St. Asaph cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of St. Asaph, which includes the whole of the historic counties of Flintshire and Denbighshire, most of Montgomeryshire, and the Edeirnion district of Merionethshire. Historically, the Diocese of St. Asaph extended across the border into today's Shropshire in England.
History[edit | edit source]
In 1856: "The houses in the principal streets are brick, and in general small, though neatly built; the streets are kept clean. The view of the city from many points around it, is particularly striking; its elevated position on an eminence near the termination of the Vale of Clwyd, crowned on its summit with the Cathedral, and having the parish church at its base, makes it a conspicuous object from every point of view, and the luxuriant grove of trees in which it is deeply embosomed give it a pleasingly romantic appearance. The surrounding scenery, which in every direction abounds with objects of interest and beauty, is seen to great advantage from the eminence on which the city is built, and from the high grounds in the immediate vicinity." [From Handbook of the Vale of Clwyd , William Davis, 1856]
For more information on St. Asaph see: Genuki - St. Asaph
Administration[edit | edit source]
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Flintshire & Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||Denbighshire|
Records[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.