Sri Lanka, Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes civil registration records of births, marriages and deaths in Sri Lanka from 1768-1990. The original records are located in various civil registration division offices throughout Sri Lanka.Sri Lanka is an island country in the Indian Ocean.
Reading These Records
These records are in Sinhala, Tamil, English and Dutch. For help reading these records see the following guides:
To Browse This Collection
|You will be able to browse through images in this collection when it is published.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
Birth registration records may contain the following information:
Marriage registration records may contain the following information:
Death registration records may contain the following information:
How Do I Search This Collection?
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
- Family relationships
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page
- Select Civil Registration Division
- Select Record Type and Date Range to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date
- Use the place of marriage to estimate a place of residency
- Use the language used in the record to determine a more specific location within Sri Lanka, as well as a possible hint to ethnicity
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the records of nearby localities
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "Sri Lanka, Civil Registration, 1768-1990." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2014. Citing Registrar General's Department, Battaramulla.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.