To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Newton upon Ouse, Yorkshire Genealogy

471 bytes added, 04:46, 30 October 2011
m
parish history
Newton upon Ouse All Saints is an Ancient Parish in the county of Yorkshire. Other places in the parish include: Benningborough, Benningbrough, Linton upon Ouse, Linton on Ouse, and Bennington.<br>
 
The church of All Saints has been designated as a grade II listed building [http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-332115-all-saints-church-newton-on-ouse+ British listed building]<br>
 
The village and civil parish of Linton-on-Ouse is in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire about 7 miles north-west of York.
 
See [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton-on-Ouse+ Newton-on-Ouse Wikipedia] [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beningbrough+ Beningbrough Wikipedia]<br>
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton upon Ouse like this:
NEWTON-UPON-OUSE, a village and a township in Easingwold district, and '''a parish '''partly also in York district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, 3 miles N N W of Shipton r. station, and 9 N W of York; and has a post-office under York. The township comprises 1, 490 acres. Real property, £4, 263. Pop., 590. Houses, 126. The parish contains also the townships of Linton-upon-Ouse and Benningborough. Acres 4, 590. Real property, £6, 782. Pop., 931. Houses, 193. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. P. Dawnay. There are Extensive brick-kilns. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £400.* Patron, the Hon. P. Dawnay. The church is modern; has an old tower, with lofty spire; and contains several interesting brasses and effigies. There are a '''Wesleyan chapel''', two Church schools, an endowed school with £25 a year, and charities £19.<br>
== Resources ==
99
edits

Navigation menu