Guide to '''Great Marlborough Street, Middlesex ancestry, family history, and genealogy:''' Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
= Church History ===
The district church of St. John the Baptist was formed in 1865 to serve an area of St. James's Piccadilly Westminster parish which was bounded approximately by Oxford Street, Poland Street, Brewer Street, Bridle Lane, the former Carnaby Market and Argyll Street. Services were first held in a room behind No. 49 Poland Street and later, from May 1867 until September 1869, in the conservatory of the Pantheon. In 1869 Nos. 49 and 50 Great Marlborough Street were purchased for £6100, and in September of that year a temporary iron church was opened on part of the back premises. Shortage of funds delayed plans for a permanent building, and it was not until 1884 that a promised grant of money from the Commissioners of Woods and Forests at last made it possible for work to begin. A. W. Blomfield was the architect of the new church, and by December 1884 a building contract had been signed with John Woodward. The temporary church was closed on 31 December 1884, and services were held in a mission room in Cambridge Street. The site in Great Marlborough Street was conveyed to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 7 February 1885 and the completed church was consecrated on 23 November 1885. The cost of the building was £5100, of which £4000 was given by the Commissioners of Woods and Forests.<ref>F. H. W. Sheppard, ed.
''Survey of London '': volumes 31 and 32: St James Westminster, Part 2, (London: 1963. 250-267. Online [ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41476| here]. Accessed: 22 April 2010.</ref>
=== Resources ===