To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Liverpool St George, Lancashire Genealogy

200 bytes added, 14:43, 17 September 2013
seo paragraph; internal link
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]
 
Guide to '''Liverpool St George, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
== Chapel History ==
LIVERPOOL (St. George), Derby Square was erected on the old site of the castle in the year 1734. It was created in 1736 from and lying within the boundaries of [[Liverpool St Peter and St Nicholas, Lancashire|Liverpool St Peter and St Nicholas]] (which see). The church was owned and maintained by the City Council and was used for worship by the mayor, aldermen and judiciary of the city. However the 1867 appointment of a Jewish mayor was criticised from the pulpit and thereafter the city council ceased to use the church which declined and was closed in 1897 and subsequently demolished. The Victoria monument now occupies the site of the former church and was built in 1902.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51112#s28 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 104-118. Date accessed: 3 Sep 2013.</ref>
On March 5, 1704 the burgesses obtained a lease for the castle and its site from the Crown for fifty years. Lord Molyneux disputed this as he still claimed hereditary constableship. This delayed the settlement of the lease until 1726, when the last remaining ruins of the castle were removed. Construction began in 1726 to the architect Thomas Steer's design and was completed in 1734. A vault beneath the church and a churchyard provided for burials.<br>
Moderator, Reviewer, editor, pagecreator
407,282
edits

Navigation menu