To request editing rights on the Wiki, click here.

Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Sunderland St John, Durham Genealogy

376 bytes removed, 11:43, 31 July 2013
no edit summary
== Parish History ==
SUNDERLAND (Holy Trinity), '''a sea-port''', '''newly enfranchised borough''', and '''parish''', and the '''head of a union''', in the N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 13 miles (N. E.) from Durham, and 269 (N. by W.) from London; The chapel of St. John, was built in 1769 . <ref>Lewis, Samuel A., [http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51318#s4 ''A Topographical Dictionary of England''] (1848), pp. 261-271. Date accessed: 24 March 2011. </ref>
The chapel of St. John, which stands at the head of Barrack-street, on a site given by Marshall Robinson, Esq., was built in 1769, chiefly at the expense of John Thornhill, Esq.; it is a spacious edifice of brick, with a square tower, and contains sittings for the soldiers in the barracks. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop; net income, £288.
<br>
editor, pagecreator
2,924
edits

Navigation menu