Spain Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Spain Baptisms, 1502-1940
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Title in the Language:||España, Bautismos, 1502-1940|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues with This Collection
- 7 Citing This Collection
- 8 How You Can Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki
What is in This Collection?
This index is an electronic index for the years 1502 to 1940. This collection can include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
Baptism / Christening
- Name of the child
- Names of the parents
- Birth date
- Christening date
- Family History Library Microfilm and item numbers for the source materials
- Father's birthplace
- Mother's birthplace
A Coverage table for this collection is available in the wiki article Spain Baptisms, Coverage Table (FamilySearch Historical Records)
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of your ancestor
- The place where your ancestor's birth occurred
- The approximate date of birth
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Look at an image of the original record, if possible. The original may contain information that was not recorded in the index
- Use the information to find other records such as marriage, death, or census records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname, unless the surname is a common surname. This list can help you identify possible relatives that can be verified by records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Try viewing any original indexes to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, middles name, or an abbreviation of their given name
- Consult the Spain Record Finder Table to find other records
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "España, bautismos, 1502-1940." Database. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 15 May 2018. Index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How You Can Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.