Spain, Province of Gerona, Municipal Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Spain, Province of Gerona, Municipal Records, 1566-1956
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Location of Gerona, Spain|
|Languages:||Spanish and Catalan|
|Title in the Language:||España, Provincia de Gerona, Registros Municipales|
|Archivo Municipal de Gerona|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection includes census, civil registration, military, and other miscellaneous records for the cities in the Province of Gerona for the years 1566-1956. The types of records available vary by city.
The cities in this province and collection include Campodevánol, Gerona, Llaérs, Ogassa, Planolas, Puigcerdá, Puigmal, Ripoll, San Juan de las Abadesas, Sanavastre, Santa Julia de Saltor, Surroca y Mín and Vallfogona. The parishes contained in these records include ones named after each city and in addition San Bartolomé, San Martín, Santa Lucía, San Pedro, San Quinti de Puigrodon, San Juan y Pol and San Juan y San Pablo.
For additional details about the history of these records and help using them, see the wiki article Spain, Municipal Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
For a list of records by localities, document type and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading these records see the following guides:
To Browse This Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Spain, Province of Gerona, Municipal Records, 1566-1956.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records: The following information may be found in these records:
For additional details about these records and help using them see Spain, Municipal Records (FamilySearch Historical Records).
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search the Index
View the Images
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select City or Municipality
- Select Parish
- Select Record Type and Years to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Spain, Province of Gerona, Municipal Records, 1566-1956. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Spain Church Records are also a good substitute when civil records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Spain Emigration and Immigration records
New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records.
- Consult the Spain Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "España, Provincia de Gerona, registros municipales, 1566-1956." Database with Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 27 February 2018. Servicio de Archivos de la Generalitat (Service of Files of The Generalitat), Gerona.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.