Spain, Diocese of Lugo, Catholic Parish Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Spain, Diocese of Lugo, Catholic Parish Records, 1550-1966
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Location of Lugo, Spain|
|Record Type:||Catholic Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||España, Diócesis de Lugo, Registros Parroquiales|
|Diócesis de Lugo|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
- 6 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection consist of records of baptisms, marriages, and burials of the parishes of the Diocese of Lugo, Spain covering the years from 1550 to 1966. Some records have been indexed and are searchable as part of this collection. Most of the parish records from the Diocese of Lugo have been preserved well, but some earlier entries may have some damage.
Parish priests performed the baptisms, marriages, deaths, burials, and other holy sacraments in their assigned parish or parishes. All of the original parish records were kept in the parish archive, however, the older records were centralized into the diocesan archive. Usually separate registers were maintained for baptisms, marriages, and deaths, however, in localities with a small population the records of baptisms, marriages, and burials were recorded in the same register. Confirmations were usually recorded with the baptismal registers, but can also be found with deaths and/or marriages. Generally, entries were created in chronological order.
Catholic Church parish records cover about 95 to 100% of the population. However, this collection only includes the parish records that have been centralized through the years into the diocesan archive.
Reading These Records
For help reading these Spanish records see the following guides:
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The information in each record may vary by year and may include the following:
How Do I Search This Collection?
Search the Index
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Or your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Spain Emigration and Immigration
- The Spain, Province of Lugo, Municipal Records may also contain useful information
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
Consult the Spain Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
- "España, Diócesis de Lugo, registros parroquiales, 1550-1966." Database. FamilySearch. https://FamilySearch.org : 12 October 2018. Parroquias Católicas (Catholic Church parishes), Lugo.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.