Spain, Diocese of Cartagena, Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Spain, Diocese of Cartagena, Catholic Church Records, 1503-1969
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Kingdom of Spain|
|Location of Murcia, Spain|
|Record Type:||Church Records|
|Title in the Language:||España, Diócesis de Cartagena, registros parroquiales|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?
This collection will include Catholic Church records from 1552-1948 created by parishes in the Diocese of Cartagena, Spain. These records include: baptisms, confirmations, pre-marriage investigations, marriages, burials and other miscellaneous church records. Images of indexes to these record groups are also included.
Depending on the year, some records may be completely handwritten or filled out on pre-printed forms.
Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish or Latin. For help reading these records see the following guides:
- Spanish Genealogical Word List
- Latin Genealogical Word List
- Reading Spanish handwritten records
- Script tutorial for Spanish
What Can These Records Tell Me?
The following information may be found in these records:
The information in each record may vary by year. Confirmations don’t contain as much information as the baptismal records and may be found among the baptismal records.
|Often additional information can be found in the margins of original records. For example in a baptismal record, you might find marriage or death information.|
How Do I Search This Collection?
Before using this collection it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
Search the Index
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Spain, Diocese of Cartagena, Catholic Church Records, 1503-1969. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?
- Add any new information to your records
- Check the image the index was taken from to see if there is additional information
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference; see the section Citing This Collection for assistance. Save or print a copy of the image
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each spouse to find a couple's birth records and parents' names
- Compile the marriage entries for every person who has the same surname as the bride or groom; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?
- Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Or your ancestor immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Spain Emigration and Immigration
- Spain Civil Registration are also a good substitute when baptism, marriage, and burial records can’t be found or are unavailable
- New information is constantly being indexed, microfilmed or updated. Periodically check back to see if your ancestor’s records have been added. You can see if the area you’ve been looking in has been recently updated by going to Historical Records Collections. Watch for an asterisk for recently added or updated records
- Consult the Spain Record Finder Table to find other records
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- Collection Citation
"Spain, Diocese of Cartagena, Catholic Church Records, 1503-1969." Database and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : 26 February 2018. Diócesis de Cartagena (Cartagena Diocese), Murcia.
When looking at a record, the citation is found below the record.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.