Southern Utah Indian Agency (Utah)
United States American Indians Utah Indians of Utah Southern Utah Indian Agency (Utah) Guide to Southern Utah Indian Agency (Utah) ancestry, family history and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
History[edit | edit source]
Indians Associated With this Agency[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1897-1905. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 543. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 583002). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for the Shevits Indians of Southern Utah. These schedules were not classified in the Bureau of Census records as a separate district, but were simply included in District 175, Santa Clara Precinct in Washington County, Utah. However, the Shevits Indians in this precinct were recorded on Indian Population Schedules.
References[edit | edit source]
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online