South Dakota Newspapers
|South Dakota Wiki Topics|
|South Dakota Background|
|Local Research Resources|
- South Dakota Online Historical Newspapers.
- South Dakota State Newspaper Surname Index.
- South Dakota State Newspapers Search Form.
- South Dakota Newspapers ($)
- South Dakota Newspaper Archives (1861 - 2002) GenealogyBank, ($), index
- NewspaperARCHIVE.com - South Dakota ($)
- Newspapers.com - Historical Newspapers in South Dakota, ($)
- South Dakota Newspapers
Resources for South Dakota Newspapers
A few newspapers were published in the Dakota Territory in the 1860s and 1870s, but most began publication between 1880 and 1910. The genealogical periodical Black Hills Nuggets (see South Dakota Periodicals.) lists early newspapers which began publication between 1864 and 1883 (in vol. 5, issue 3).
Libraries and Archives
The Family History Library has not acquired copies of many of the South Dakota newspapers. The South Dakota Historical Society and the state universities and colleges have the largest collections of newspapers. Their website allows you to search for a particular newspaper within South Dakota or to search for an area (county and/or town) and then by date. According to what was entered, a list of roll numbers will be given for the newspapers that has been filmed within those perimeters. These films are held at the Historical Society in South Dakota, but some of these films can be obtained for a fee through Inter-library Loan.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections
Digital Issues Online
South Dakota State Library has a listing of online newspaper archives for newspapers from South Dakota.
- South Dakota Historical Society: Newspaper Lookup
- Newspaper Obituaries
- Newspaper Abstracts
- Listing of many of the South Dakota Newspapers (most of these are current newspapers, for older ones, click on the "South Dakota Historical Society: Newspaper Lookup" link)