South Creake, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide toSouth Creake, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|South Creake, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Docking|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
CREAKE, SOUTH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Brothercross, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Burnham Westgate. There is a place of worship for Independents. 
South Creake Our Lady St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich.
South Creake is a village and civil parish in north west Norfolk, England. The village lies 1+1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) south of its twin village of North Creake, and some five miles (8 km) north-west of the town of Fakenham. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
South Creake, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|South Creake, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 612 South Creake Parish registers Microfilm copy of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich, England.
Item 31 Baptisms 1539-1812, 1839 Burials 1539-1687 Marriages 1550-1768 Item 32 Burials 1678-1812 Item 33 Marriages 1754-1756 Item 34 Marriages 1757-1812 Banns 1757-1795 Item 35 Marriages 1812-1826 Item 36 Burials 1813-1862 Item 37 Burials 1862-1916 Item 38 Register bill/burials 1856 FHL BRITISH Film 1565793 Items 31-38
Item 37 Baptisms 1813-1870 Item 38 Marriages 1827-1857 Item 39 Marriages 1837-1901 Item 40 Banns 1754-1756 Item 41 Banns 1823-1864 Item 42 Banns 1864-1918 FHL BRITISH Film 1526885 Items 37-42
Baptisms 1813-1900 FHL BRITISH Film 1657289 Item 30
Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812
Baptisms, burials and marriages 1725-1812 FHL BRITISH Film 1526790 Item 2
see Docking Poor Law Union, Norfolk for history of the parish workhouse
Parish poor law records, 1659-1840 Microfilm copy of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich, England.
Norfolk Record Office no.: PD 612/42, 70-71, 75-77, 128-129
Overseers' accounts 1720-1835 Apprenticeship indentures 1659, 1677, 1679 Poor rate books 1836-1840 FHL BRITISH Film 1702279 Items 4-10
Churchwardens' accounts and rates of South Creake, 1789-1863 Microreproduction of original records at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD612/13, 127.
Rates, which are taxes, are determined by property valuation, therefore church, poor and highway rates generally list owners and occupiers of properties. In some cases, they are listed alphabetically by surname.
Churchwardens' accounts, 1789-1863; Church rates, 1854-1863. FHL BRITISH Film 2186445 Items 5 - 6
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- 1891 Census Surname Index: Transcribed by Pat Greetham
- World War 1 Memorial: Transcribed by Byron and housed by Norfolk Transcritpion Archives
- World War 2 Memorial: Transcribed by Byron and housed by Norfolk Transcritpion Archives
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
1597 Subsidy Taxes: Transcribed by Geoff Lowe and housed by Norfolk Transcription Archives
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: South Creake on GenUKI
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp720-725. Date accessed:03 June 2013.&amp;amp;lt;br&amp;amp;gt;
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.