Somerford All Saints, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Somerford All Saints, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Somerford All Saints, Cheshire|
|Poor Law Union||Congleton|
|Parish registers: 1572; Separate registers exist for Mossley Holy Trinity beginning 1845 and also for Odd Rode beginning 1809 and also for Somerford beginning 1691|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1593|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Somerford All Saints or Holmes Chapel or also called Church Holmes, was built in the year 1720 as a chapel of ease. With Congleton and all its chapelries, it lay within the ancient parish boundary of Astbury St Mary.
Further parishes in Congleton with their own page are:
Congleton St Stephen, Cheshire, Brook Street. A separate district chapelry from 1845 serving part of Congleton township.
Congleton St James, Cheshire, West Street. A separate district chapelry from 1844 serving part of Congleton township (no burials here).
Congleton St Peter, Cheshire. A parochial chapelry over the Congleton chapels of ease (chapelries) and attached to the ancient or mother parish, of Astbury St Mary's Parish.
Other closely associated chapelries to Somerford and Congleton's (see above) included the chapelries of Mossley Holy Trinity, Buglawton, Rode and Smallwood; together with several places of worship for dissenters in the parish.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Congleton Moss Holy Trinity Chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's =FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|SOMERFORD ALL SAINTS Chapelry (1720) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| NONE
|FS BT'S|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Bishop's transcripts for Congleton Moss Holy Trinity begin from 1851 and the parish (chapelry) registers, from 1845.
Other church registers for this township include:
St. Peter's Church, Congleton, 1745-1796. An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s transcripts is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records (formerly Record Search). Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City:
|Bishop's Transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, burials, 1745, 1749-1750, 1753-1787, 1789-1793, 1796.||BRITISH 1655596 Item 2|
Registers of Baptisms 1719–1975, Marriages 1719–1772 & 1839–1931, and Burials 1719–1913 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office call number P 260 (see Astbury St Mary)
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- Congleton, St. Mary (Roman Catholic), West Road. Founded 1821, the present church was opened in 1826. Registers of baptisms 1822–1965, marriages 1856–1962 and burials 1856–1947 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton, Friends' Meeting House (Quakers). Closed in 1741. Some records are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton, Methodist (Trinity) Chapel (Wesleyan), Wagg Street. Founded 1766, rebuilt in 1808 and 1967. Registers of baptisms 1838–98 and marriages 1845–56 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1821 on Lawton Street, rebuilt in 1890 in Kinsey Street.
- Congleton, Methodist Chapel (Lady Huntingdon's Connexion). Founded 1822. Registers 1822–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton Edge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1833, rebuilt in 1889.
- Congleton, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Brook Street. Built in 1834, closed in 1966. Registers of baptisms 1929–1966 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Queen Street. Built in 1836, closed in 1969. Registers of baptisms 1898–1968 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), Biddulph Road. Built in 1840.
- Congleton, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Rood Lane. Founded 1861, rebuilt in 1886.
- Congleton, Unitarian Chapel, Cross Street. Founded 1687 by the Dane Bridge, moved to Cross Street in 1733. The present building was built in 1883 and closed in 1978. Records of baptisms 1936–74, marriages 1940–74 and burials 1934–77 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Congleton, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational). Built in 1790 on Mill Street, rebuilt in 1876 on Antrobus Street. Registers 1785–1837 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
Cheshire Record Office Document Reference ERC 20
Title Congleton St Mary Catholic Church
Description: registers of baptism 1822-1965, marriage 1831-1962, death 1856-1932, 1948
Society of Friends. Cheshire Monthly Meeting (Mobberley, Cheshire) Burials, 1655-1831
Microfilm of original records at the London Public Record Office, London. Also includes records for Congleton. RG-6 nos. 1603, 1329, 97, 98, 214
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Burials, 1655-1831||BRITISH 814840|
Church records for the Queen Street New Connexion Methodist Chapel, Congleton, 1898-1944 Cheshire Record Office call number EMS 74/1/1.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1898-1944.||VAULT BRITISH 2299419 Item 7|
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Congleton (1837–1937)
- Macclesfield (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Somerford All Saints on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 100-104. Date accessed: 01 July 2013.
[edit | edit source]
Clifton-Taylor, Alec (1974), English Parish Churches as Works of Art, London: Batsford,p 8 ISBN 0 7134 2776 0
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: B. T Batsford, pp. 137–141
Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, pp. 126–127, ISBN 0 907768 18 0
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, p. 182, ISBN 0 300 09588 0