Slovenia, Prekmurje and Međimurje, Civil Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Slovenia, Prekmurje and Međimurje, Civil Registers, 1895-1918 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Slovenija, Prekmurje, Država Registri
What is in the Collection?
This collection contains civil registers recording births, marriages, and deaths for the residents of the Prekmurje area of eastern Slovenia from 1895-1918. The registers were created when this portion of Slovenia belonged to the Hungarian Empire so Hungarian county names are used in the browse, and the records are written in Hungarian. The records were acquired from the Maribor Regional Archive of Slovenia.
For a list of records by localities, document type and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
To Browse this Collection
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Slovenia, Prekmurje and Međimurje, Civil Registers, 1895-1918.|
Birth records usually contain the following information:
- Date of registration
- Date and place of birth
- Child's name, gender, and religion
- Parents’ names, occupation, and religion
- Parents’ residence
- Mother's age
- Signatures of informant and registrar
Marriage records usually contain the following information:
- Date and place of the marriage
- Groom’s name and age
- Groom's date and place of birth
- Groom's occupation and religion
- Groom’s parents’ names
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's date and place of birth
- Bride's occupation and religion
- Bride's parents' names
- Names of witnesses and their residence (witnesses may be family members)
Death records usually contain the following information:
- Registration date
- Date, place and time of death
- Name, age, gender and religion of deceased
- Residence and marital status of deceased
- Name of spouse if married
- Parents' names if deceased is a minor
- Cause of death
- Signatures of informant and registrar
How Do I Search the Collection?
Searching The Collection
To search the collection, you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Historical Hungarian County" category
⇒Select the "Town or Registration District" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Date Range" category, which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one, comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- Use civil birth records to verify date and place of birth as well as to provide names of parents and their respective places of birth and approximate year of birth. Only birth records 90 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
- Use civil marriage records to verify date and place of marriage and name of spouse as well as provide parents names for both the bride and groom. Only marriage records 60 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
- Use civil death records to verify date and place of death as well as provide approximate year of birth, place of birth, names of parents and spouse. Only death records 30 years old or older are made available by the Hungarian government.
Research guides are available by clicking on the Hungary link below. It will also include "How to begin research", "Research Tools (incl. Common Hungarian Words)", and a history of Hungary.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog at Slovenia, Prekmurje and Međimurje, Civil Registers, 1895-1918. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
Known Issues with This Collection
| Problems with this collection?|
See a list of known issues, workarounds, tips, restrictions, future fixes, news and other helpful information.
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Citing This Collection
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
- "Editing Slovenia, Prekmurje and Međimurje, Civil Registers, 1895-1918 " Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2017. Citing Maribor Regional Archive of Slovenia.