Sioux County, Iowa Genealogy
Guide to Sioux County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Sioux County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
|County Seat||Orange City|
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
The County was named for the Sioux people. The County has Orange City as its seat and the County was created 1851. The County is located in the northwest area of the state.
Sioux County, Iowa Record Dates
1851--Sioux County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Woodbury County prior to organization 1 January 1860. County seat: Orange City 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Error: Image is invalid or non-existent.
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Iowa Cemeteries for more information.|
- 1895 - Iowa State Census, 1895 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1905 - Iowa State Census, 1905 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1915 - Iowa State Census, 1915 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1925 - Iowa State Census. 1925 at FamilySearch — index and images
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Hull, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Sioux County, Iowa Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- 1835-1998 - Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, ca. 1835-1998 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861-1949 - Iowa, Grand Army of the Republic Membership Records, 1861-1949 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1885, 1912-1913, 1916-1961, and 1963-1971 — Alton Democrat at Ancestry.com ($) — Alton, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1897-1943, 1947-1954, and 1956-1961 — Boyden Reporter at Ancestry.com ($) — Boyden, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1935-1952. 1959-1967, and 1969-1970 — Sioux County Capital at Ancestry.com ($) — Orange City, Iowa
- 1896-1900, 1902-1903, 1930-1955, 1957-1958, 1961-1966, and 1969-1971 — Sioux Center News at Ancestry.com ($) — Sioux Center, Iowa
- 1913-1941, 1943-1948, 1953, 1955, and 1957-1967 — Sioux County Index at Ancestry.com ($) — Hull, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1951-67 — The Hawarden Independent at Ancestry.com ($) — Hawarden, IA, USA
- 1911-1912, 1915, 1917, 1920, 1927, 1928-1931, 1933, 1935-1937, and 1941-1942 — Ireton Ledger at Ancestry.com ($) — Ireton, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1899-1918 — Bayard Advocate at Ancestry.com ($) — Bayard, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1908, 1911, 1913-1916, 1920, 1922-1923, 1933, 1938, and 1941 — Hospers Tribune at Ancestry.com ($) — Hospers, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1968-71 — The Independent at Ancestry.com ($) — Hawarden, IA, USA
- 1916-1920, 1924, and 1928-1929 — Maurice Times at Ancestry.com ($) — Maurice, Iowa, United States Of America
- 1954 — The Sheldon Mail at Ancestry.com ($) — Sheldon, IA, USA
Online Probate Records
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Sioux - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online.
- 1850-1939 - Iowa, Delayed Birth Records, 1850-1939 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1921-1942 - Iowa, Birth Records, 1921-1942 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1518-1996 - Iowa, United States Marriages at FindMyPast — index $
- 1838-1934 - Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1850-1990 - Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1850-1990 at FamilySearch
- 1880-1992 - Iowa, County Death Records, 1880-1992 at FamilySearch — index
- 1904-1951 - Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951 at FamilySearch — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Greater Sioux County Genealogical Society
Sioux Center Public Library
102 So. Main Ave
Sioux Center, Iowa 51250
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Sioux County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Sioux County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Wikipedia contributors, "Sioux, Iowa," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_County,_Iowa."
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Sioux County, Iowa. Page 230-238 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002; Alice Eichholz, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources, Third ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004), 222-225.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).