Siljansnäs Parish, Kopparberg, Sweden Genealogy
Guide to Siljansnäs Parish, Sweden ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- 1 History
- 2 Place Names
- 3 Collections
- 3.1 Census Records
- 3.2 Church Records
- 3.3 Military Records
- 3.4 Related Sources
- 3.5 Help Reading Swedish Records
- 3.6 Help Reading Old Handwriting
- 3.7 Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
- 3.8 References
Siljansnäs is a locality situated in Leksand Municipality, Dalarna County, Sweden.
This parish was created from Leksand parish on May 1, 1875.
|Siljansnäs Parish, Kopparberg, Sweden Genealogy|
|Tingslag||1875-1893 Leksand, Ål and Bjursås, 1894-1915 Leksand, 1916-1947 Leksand and Gagnef, 1948-1970 Nedansiljans domsaga|
|Domsaga||-1875 Östra, later called Österdalarne, 1876-1974 Nedansiljan, 1975- Leksand|
|Fögderi||1875-1966 Nedansiljan, 1967- Falun|
|Kommun||1875-1973 Siljansnäs, 1974- Leksand|
|Militär indelning||Dalregementet: Majorens (Leksands) and Rättviks kompanier|
Individuals listed by their proffessions. No village index included.
To see what kind of place it is you will need a Swedish Gazetteer.
- Surrounding Parishes
- Sweden Household Examination Records (Husförhörslängder)--explanation of this church record which is functionally the census of Sweden.
- Sweden Household Examination Books, 1880 - 1920, ($), index and images. Also on Ancestry.com, ($), Arkiv Digital ($), and SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Online Database Church Records
The easiest way to access the Swedish Church Records is through the internet, using these five sites (see links to specific collections below). Four of these sites require a subscription for access. (ArkivDigital, Ancestry.com, and MyHeritage.com are available at a FamilyHistory Center near you free of charge.)
- Sweden, Kopparberg Church Records, 1604-1900; index 1628-1860 at FamilySearch.
- MyHeritage.com ($),
- Ancestry.com ($),
- Arkiv Digital ($), and
- SVAR at Riksarkivet.
Help Using ArkivDigital: Online Databases for Sweden
- These lessons will teach you how to use ArkivDigital:
Family History Library Records
Click Sweden, Kopparberg Records for a full listing of microfilmed records (some digitized online) at the Family History Library, that may be digitized. Check back occasionally to see if your records have become available. In the meantime, some of them might be available at a Family History Center near you.
Click on "Places within Sweden, Kopparberg and then select your parish.
Help Reading Swedish Records
- You do not have to be fluent in Swedish to read these records! They have a limited vocabulary: mother, father, born, bride, groom, married, etc. The rest of the content will be names, dates, and places, which do not need translation.
- This Swedish Word List covers typical terms found in the records.
- Swedish Historical Dictionary Database, SHDD: This interactive dictionary allows you to enter a word in the search box and receive the translation.
- Feast Day Calendar (Moveable) and Feast Day Lists (Fixed and Moveable) will help you translate dates written in feast day form.
- Sweden surnames are patronymic and change every generation, so carefully study Sweden Names, Personal.
- For help with reading the column headings found in more recent records, see Swedish Parish Register and Household Exam Roll Headings.
- Instructions, document examples, and translations are given for Reading Swedish Birth and Christening Records 1717, 1752, 1771, 1792, 1803, 1834, 1854.
Help Reading Old Handwriting
- Reading Scandinavian Gothic Handwritten Records: (free, online lessons at FamilySearch):
Help With Research Objectives and Strategies
Siljansnäs parish, Husförhörslängd 1867-1868, AI;1. Village index not included.
Riksarkivet. "Siljansnäs Församling." Nationell ArkivDatabas (NAD). March 2011 http://www.nad.ra.se/